Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can knock sensors be tuned out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can knock sensors be tuned out?

i was installing a knock sensor today and i broke the stem that it bolts into.i no longer have a place to mount the rear knock sensor.one of my options is to mount it to the side of the block.there are supposedly more holes where i would be able to mount it.now i was wondering if there is a way to delete the knock sensor totally?like in a tune?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you can delete them. I shut them off in all my personal cars. But, I'm also the one tuning them. The tune has to be good.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Launching!

ok thanks.i will definately look into that.i just dont want the ses light to come on.and i dont want my ignition timing being retarded or anything.gonna try to mount it to the side of the block.then im calling my tuner in arlington texas and see what he recommends.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

slowhawk curious as to why you delete them? do you find you get a lot of false knock? ive often wondered how accurate the knock sensors are when you doubling and tripling the stock power levels... just asking because i have considered it before
Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do most tuners do anything with them during tuning on a car with a big cam and exhaust ao that they don't detect false knock an pull timing?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
slowhawk curious as to why you delete them? do you find you get a lot of false knock? ive often wondered how accurate the knock sensors are when you doubling and tripling the stock power levels... just asking because i have considered it before
False knock problems when racing. My 02 Vette running 14lbs on the stock motor would false kr all the time. Unplugged them and drove it 3 years on the stock motor with no problems.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
slowhawk curious as to why you delete them?
Cuz he haz big ballz LOL
Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
My 02 Vette running 14lbs on the stock motor would false kr all the time. Unplugged them and drove it 3 years on the stock motor with no problems.
See, now that takes big ballz LOL
Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had success turning down sensitivity and turning up recovery rate so I guess my ***** are not so big. During a dyno session kept getting false knock from some weird harmonics with the above ground DynoJet dyno so had to turn them off.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by white01ss
I've had success turning down sensitivity and turning up recovery rate so I guess my ***** are not so big. During a dyno session kept getting false knock from some weird harmonics with the above ground DynoJet dyno so had to turn them off.
Are there aNy benefits to tuning them out? Doing a turbo build and am tearing down my engine to clean it and was wondering if it'd just be better to buy a new valley cover with out the knock sensor holes
Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by keithbessler
Are there aNy benefits to tuning them out? Doing a turbo build and am tearing down my engine to clean it and was wondering if it'd just be better to buy a new valley cover with out the knock sensor holes
Only benefit is to prevent false knock. If your setup produces false knock then you will need to turn it off. If it doesn't then I'd leave it on to protect against bad gas. It comes down to how comfortable you are not having them.

For 80 years there was no such thing as a knock retard, cars had to be tuned for the worst fuel and conditions from the factory. Nowadays, cars are turned for economy and have to eek out all the hp they can.

Quick Reply: can knock sensors be tuned out?