PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock ECM vs. Holley HP/Dominator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock ECM vs. Holley HP/Dominator?

Hi, I'm in the middle of a project and am considering taking the plunge.

I already have a modified stock Harness and ECM. It's already been established that the Holley ECM's are pretty awesome.

What I really like about the Holley-Auto tune. I like the idea that depending on whether I want to enrich to run around town or go to the track, or lean out for a road trip, and/or change my ratio depending on summer/winter fuel (especially in CA).

Odds are I'm not going to be making a lot of mods, though the option to do so and tune easily is nice. I also plan on this car being a semi daily driver.

I have no real plans to do my own custom tuning. Note: I'm running an LS2 intake on my LS4, So plan to use the DBW.

Another question is MPG. I know that ratio is ratio, but has anyone noticed any differences in MPG between using the stock ECM vs. Holley EFI?
thanks in advance. In otherwords, is it really worth the investment for my needs?

Also, it seems that keeping up on their tech forum is optional for Holley. I can't seem to register, or get approved to post or something. So here's my other question. I have to run my intake reversed. Will the Holley leads be long enough to run everything in this configuration?

Last edited by 73metalman; 06-12-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really, no response to this question? I am in the same boat and wondering if it's worth going holley or just keep GM computer in my LS1/T56 conversion project. I love GM but Holley seems to be a good option in the long run if you want to tune your car yourself and if you upgrade cam in the future. Is it really all that it's cracked up to be for a mostly stock around town driver? I know alot of race guys use aftermarket but anyone have thoughts about this set up for drivers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, btw, I have searched all other threads for hours on end and keep seeing the same 3-4 RACERS chime in on several forums but what about any guys with driver projects like us:-)
Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the HP on dads daily driver. 8000 miles this summer. No issues. Tuning took a afternoon setting it up and getting the start up correct.

Flipping the intake should not be a problem.

Tim
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I have the HP on dads daily driver. 8000 miles this summer. No issues. Tuning took a afternoon setting it up and getting the start up correct.

Flipping the intake should not be a problem.

Tim
Great information Gray hatch! Thanks for sharing. Your dad's car is an LS1? Was it a conversion? Any information as to why you chose the Holley versus stock GM stuff? Thanks again for the response!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

L76 with the DOD and VVT deleted in a 71 chevelle. I won't pay someone to tune my cars. For the same $ I do it all myself. Don't need a dyno

Tim
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
L76 with the DOD and VVT deleted in a 71 chevelle. I won't pay someone to tune my cars. For the same $ I do it all myself. Don't need a dyno

Tim
Nice! I like the idea of learning the Holley set up and self learn is a cool option. Is it worth the upfront costs you think?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

$1500 is well worth it. You can configure it to control a bunch of stuff. If you have a 24 or 58x just a change in the software.

Tim

Quick Reply: Stock ECM vs. Holley HP/Dominator?