PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 Engine tune or mechanical Problems

Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Engine tune or mechanical Problems

I have been working on a project for a while now with a tuner and i am having issues that i just dont understand i guess.

The car is a 1995 lt1 350 with LE2 heads pac beehive springs with 1.6 SA Aluminum Roller rockers, Comp 306 camshaft, 58mm TB, Pacesetter LT headers-3 y-Bullet-Dumped, Ported intake, MSD complete ignition system,with Ac delco plug gapped at .45. 32lbs flow match injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Walbro 255 pump,caspers hot wire kit,lt4 KS

Automatic car with 2800 stall converter and 4.10 gears.

Now to the issue at hand, The car runs drives shifts, but is running rich as hell all the time, My tuner suggested in the beginning i get new Delco o2 sensors, So i did, Same issue, He said exhaust leak somewhere, So we replaced the header gaskets with MLS units and locking header bolts, we also welded the y pipe to the headers and muffler, Re-logged car afterwards and still rich as hell, I suggested swapping the MAF out, so we did with no change at all. For a while the tuner was saying most of the time the issue is a leaking exhaust system, We have checked and rechecked the header flanges and gaskets, all the welds and their is 1 small leak about 1.5 feet past the passenger side o2 sensor, so i tack it.

We take car to the dyno to get a base line and check A/F and the results were un impressive and the guy taking the dyno was clueless as well. First he had no log or cable for my car so i had to drive home and get all my stuff and set it all up for him, Does 3 pulls, IN OPEN LOOP? Max hp was 312 on the 3rd run. After i looked at the log and seen it was in open loop he said to come back another day to re do? So we did 2 days later and the results were max hp 308hp and i got no sheet this time. I gave all the info to my tuner and he readjusted somethings in the tune. Long long story short nothing is fixed and i dont want to give up. I have a few logs from the past few weeks for anyone who is willing to help me. Maybe someone has had this issue and knows what to do. I can email logs and i might be able to scan the dyno sheet.

We just re adjusted all the valves, re checked header bolts and exhaust system for the 100th time, no weird noises or anything, the tranny shifts firm and holds good on hard shifts. Any help would be great
Old 06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have covered all the bases and need to find someone to hands on tune the car. That is way under powered for the mods listed.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i took my car to 2 different shops local and they were stumped, well the first shop could not even figure out it was an lt1, and the second shop was a ford racing shop that had a dyno and 4 days later the guy asked my to come get the car because he did not have tuner cats for lt1 cars or something.

Right now im looking to have someone go over my last few logs and tell me what they think, and i would like to compair their thoughts with my tuner and mine and go from there.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump, no one tunes or use to tune lt1 engines want to help out? I would like to figure this out or better yet have some help to figure this out so my wife and i can enjpy all the hard work completing this car.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have tuning software? Do you have a wideband? What software are the logs you have to post up? post any data you have up and I will try to look at it tonight... Sounds like a whole bunch of parts changing going on and no actual tuning...
Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 291 Likes on 217 Posts

Check the fuel press reg for a leak... Just had this problem w/ that same issue. His was leaking so bad, it sprayed out of the reg when the hose was pulled off.
A SMALL leak WILL do what U R describing...........

And, find a dyno that doesn't include a moron at the controls.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Engine tune or mechanical Problems