PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calibrate speedometer w/out custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calibrate speedometer w/out custom tune?

My dad recently bought a 99 Z28 that has a custom tune, but has since had the gears switched to 3.90's. Is there any way to correct the speedometer without messing with the custom tune? I don't want to buy a programmer just for the speedo, plus I obviously wouldn't want to mess up the custom tune...Do they make a speedcal for this, or can you take it somewhere to have them just calibrate the speedo? Not sure of program used to tune the car. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Teching In

So far as I can tell from searching, I guess my only options are to buy a cheap programmer or get lucky and have a performance shop around here that can program it for me....

Anyone have a cheap programmer they want to get rid of?? Can be older than dirt, as long as it's unlocked and changes the speedo for my 3.90's.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Your best bet is to find someone in your area with a laptop software package (i.e. EFI Live or HPT). The pulse per mile cell is all that needs to be changed. This can be done without affecting fuel and spark delivery. If you find someone that only charges you for the credits it'll cost them to make the change, you'll be out the door for $100. If you find someone who can service all '99s, it may be less (depending on how generous they are).

Quick Reply: Calibrate speedometer w/out custom tune?