PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 C5 Vette in LIMP, after a small repair. WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 C5 Vette in LIMP, after a small repair. WTF!?

I cant figure this out. Im desperate for help! Im completely stumped, and supposed to leave for Houston at 5pm!

I just bought my 97 c5, (camaro ls3 swap), and drove it home over 1k miles. Ran great. Drove it a good bit around town, ..ran great. Drove it to Futral Motorsports in Walker, and showed the car to the guy there. He looked at my engine bay, to check out the swap.

He noticed that one of the wires that was ran for the map sensor on the front of the manifold (fast 102), ....the outer wire casing was touching the valve cover (dont have fuel rail covers, so this is all visible), and it was melting a bit. When he pulled the wire away from the valve cover, it tore off a tiny piece of the wire shielding. I zip tied it out of harms way, and drove home. Ran great.

Went and got stuff for my first oil change. Jacked the car up, changed the oil, and decided to then fix the torn wire.

I taped up the tear, and then taped it every few inches running along the pass side injector harness. I then covered it all in a piece of wire loom, all the way back. Looks nice, now.

While I was at it, I noticed the wires coming off another harness plug, looked like they had touched the drive belt by the top pulley at one time, and a couple of their wire shieldings were worn through in tiny spots. This is about an inch off the plug.

I disconnected the plug, and carefully inspected them for broken wire strands. Two looked fine so I taped them up (tight and neatly), the third,...the wire broke apart when I grabbed it to look up close.

So I spliced that wire back together, and used shrink wrap. Then taped it all up tightly, and put a piece of wire loom. Plugged it back up. Went to start the car (still on jack stands), and first thing i get when I turn on the key, ....REDUCED ENGINE POWER, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL messages.

The car starts right up, idles fine, but I have the repeating messages, along with the cel.

The engine only barely responds to the throttle. Itll rev just a tiny bit if you give it throttle, but wouldnt be drivable at all.

So heres what I get:

10-pcm p1120 h c (tp sensor 1 curcuit)

p1221 h c (tp sensors 1, 2 performance)

38-rtd No Comm

99-hvac No Comm

What could have possibly happened? Im very careful/**** when I do anything on a car (or anything at all). I was very careful making the little simple wire repairs. What the hell could have gone wrong?

I dont know what this plug is. The one circled is where I made the repair, on the red wire.

Only it, and the map sensor were unplugged. The pins inside the plug look great, with no corrosion. Same for the other.

The throttle responds (barely), but will only rev to around 1500rpm.

The plug really seems ok. I zip tied the wire that was spliced, to the other wires on the plug, so it wouldnt pull on that one by itself....if that makes sense.

I have continuity on all wires, both sides of the plug.

If I order a pigtail for it, I guess order for a car that has a ls2, since thats the throttle body I have, or would it be for a 97 corvette?

I pulled off all the loom and tape, to carefully inspect every wire. Couldnt find any problems. Here's a close up of the plug. Its NOT the one that plugs into the tps, but the harnesses ARE connected to each other.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Teching In

I tested for continuity on both sides of the plug, at about 6" back on both sides. All is good.

The plug for the tps looks great, too. Terminals are straight and clean.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Teching In

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend came by and pus HIS eye on it. The tps sensor harness that was run along the pass side fuel rail, had a section about 1" long where THREE wires were chafed. One strand was laying across the other two.

I didnt see this (I guess because I thought the only problem was by the plug), and when I wrapped a piece to tape around to hold the map wire, ...that must have made the short connect.

So now it runs tip top. Im heading to Houston! Thanks for all the help.

Heres what he found, that was covered in tape:

Quick Reply: LS3 C5 Vette in LIMP, after a small repair. WTF!?