PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock sensor question?

if i turn the knock sensors to 0...will the car act all crazy not being able to read knock? or is there a way to knock them out completely and it not hurt engine performance?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Mutt
if i turn the knock sensors to 0...will the car act all crazy not being able to read knock? or is there a way to knock them out completely and it not hurt engine performance?
Yes you can completely eliminate the knock sensors and have the car perform normally without them. However, this is a process that must be done with extreme care and knowledge so that you don't unwittingly put too much spark advance in the tune causing real knock and real damage.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 PM

yea im still on a stock tune..just knocked out the emission sensors..and my knocks are bad so i just wanted to knock those out till i get some new ones without any power rob..reason i asked was we turned the sensors to 0..and the car started actin like it has "VTEC"..boggie till around 5000 rpm then a big burst of power like i hit a 200 shot to it? my 02's show bad so i think that could be the cause of that? but problem didnt start till we set knock to 0
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A knock sensor is like a condom. It may cause small troubles, but in the end it may save your life.

If you only set the max knock table to 0 but didn't delete the codes, you will have troubles.

It's not that hard to fix. I'd rather keep them in good working condition.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Mutt
yea im still on a stock tune..just knocked out the emission sensors..and my knocks are bad so i just wanted to knock those out till i get some new ones without any power rob..reason i asked was we turned the sensors to 0..and the car started actin like it has "VTEC"..boggie till around 5000 rpm then a big burst of power like i hit a 200 shot to it? my 02's show bad so i think that could be the cause of that? but problem didnt start till we set knock to 0
It sounds like you have a few hardware issues to fix before you start worrying about software.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 AM

well im gonna put new 02 sensors in today and see if that helps cause mine arent reading worth a crap..so maybe thats my main issue