PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0101 code is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0101 code is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!

Ok as we all know the P0101 code can be many things so I will try to make this short and simple. To fix this problem I have done the following :

1)replace Throttle Position Sensor

2)replace K&N with paper filter

3)clean MAF and inside of Throttle Body with Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol

As usual with iritating problems non of these items above curred the problem

Before I go the more expensive route replacing the MAF(Jim Pace 85mm descreened LS1 calibrated) or the Throttle Body which I ported myself. Is there anything else I havent done that may cure this code being thrown ? I'm as lost as a Billy Goat in trying to remedy this problem HELP........

Also being I have a stalled A4 when this light is on performance is drastically reduced
Old 04-04-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

When did this code start being thrown?

What was the last thing that you did to the car before this started happening?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

actualy the last thing was mti retunning a new pcm, old one was fried after getting it back via mail from AMS. The SES light has been on ever since with the P0101 code..aprox 3 weeks now very poor performance also

Last edited by jruss; 04-04-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

The poor performance is because you are most likley running in speed density mode. Once you set the P0101 code the PCM ignores the MAF.

Do you have a supercharger?
Old 04-04-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

no supercharger,MTI X1 cam,lts/no cats,Yank SS3800 stall...what would be your next thought in trying to remedy this issue ?
Old 04-04-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

There is actually a P0101 allowabled error table in LS1 edit that can cause this code to be thrown erroneously. If you are supercharged, you have to adjust this table up to avoid getting this error (on some setups). However, being NA you shouldn't have a problem (unless they messed with the table).

First, I would ask MTI if they play with this table. If they have a sharp tuner there is some hybrid MAFless tuning that you can use this table for with the larger cams and perhaps MTI is trying this and just forgot to turn off the SES light for the code.......minor mistake.

Additionally, if you have a crummy port job on your MAF with a very large cam it can throw this code.

If they don't mess with the table, then there is one thing you might want to try.....
Having you car sitting there at idle unplug the MAF:

If the MAF is still being used then the car should stumble and the idle should drop. With that being said then most likley your P0101 is a spike/connection problem. I would start checking grounds and wheather plugs for obvious signs of damage or loose connection. Additionally, I would check your PCM plug for any folded over points.

If the MAF is dead then the cars operating won't change when you unplug it. If the MAF signal is dead, then most likley it is a disconnected wire, blown engine fuse, or boofed MAF.

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

thanks Kevin !!!
Old 04-04-2004, 05:01 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin, I throw this code ever so often, lots when I spray. How much would you suggest raising the allowed value for a starting point? Something like 10% or 20% across the entire table?
Old 04-04-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 67SS509
Kevin, I throw this code ever so often, lots when I spray. How much would you suggest raising the allowed value for a starting point? Something like 10% or 20% across the entire table?
From spraying, you can throw this code when you freeze out the MAF (turn the thermistors into popsicles). When you freeze out the MAF, you basically peg it. There are a couple things you can do.

Try aiming your nitrous a different direction. Directly blowing onto the MAF is a certian way to freeze the thermistors and a guaranteed way to run WAAAAY rich. Try shooting the opposite direction or put the nozzle around a corner.

If you are just running such a big dry shot (~175+) that the MAF freezes no matter what, then you may as well disable this code in the upper flows. For all higher flows I would just input the max value.

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Where is this table, I dont see it on my '99 Vette. Is it the same as the P1514 table?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How quickly does it rest itself? Say can it trip at low rpm, but once values come down under the threshold it will picktheMAFbackup?

Quick Reply: P0101 code is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!