PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Tune, should I remove MAF wires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SD Tune, should I remove MAF wires?

I am in the process of going through my wire harness for my LQ4 turbo build. If I am going to have a SD tune on HP Tuners, should I just remove my MAF wires and plug from the PCM now? Or is there a reason to have the wiring?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're positive that you will never go back to a MAF tune, then delete the wires. No reason to keep them.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Is there a reason to go back to a MAF tune? I'm new so keep this in mind
Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Not A Z
Is there a reason to go back to a MAF tune? I'm new so keep this in mind
pretty sure you should never divulge your "new here" status on this forum...peoples lips slam shut and become not so helpful...I am new to this f-body/ls motor stuff too....and I'll be damned if I can get someone to be friendly enough to actually help me out...I am supposed to "search"....
Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Metz Motorsports
pretty sure you should never divulge your "new here" status on this forum...peoples lips slam shut and become not so helpful...I am new to this f-body/ls motor stuff too....and I'll be damned if I can get someone to be friendly enough to actually help me out...I am supposed to "search"....
That's a pretty rough assessment. Generally, we all try to be as helpful as possible. As with any forum, there's a douchebag in EVERY crowd....but very few here (in my experience). With that in mind....there are MANY times that questions can easily be answered through the search function.....especially questions that have been answered a billion times before. Depending on what you're asking, it might have been answered many many times before.

To the OP...If you NEVER intend to go back to a MAF setup, then go ahead and delete them....as long as you have an IAT installed elsewhere in the system.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Someone out there makes a harness to plug into the maf harness for the use of an iat sensor so you wont haft to cut anything...just forget where I seen it at.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mudmanmatt
Someone out there makes a harness to plug into the maf harness for the use of an iat sensor so you wont haft to cut anything...just forget where I seen it at.
Possibly. The only one that I've seen though, is an adapter to combine the 3-wire maf leads and the old-style IAT leads to the newer 5-lead maf plug....to to use the newer maf. If the OP is certain that he'll never go back to a maf-based tune, I'd just delete the 3 wires for the maf and re-route the 2 for the IAT sensor to desired location.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by salemetro
That's a pretty rough assessment. Generally, we all try to be as helpful as possible. As with any forum, there's a douchebag in EVERY crowd....but very few here (in my experience). With that in mind....there are MANY times that questions can easily be answered through the search function.....especially questions that have been answered a billion times before. Depending on what you're asking, it might have been answered many many times before.
understood...however not might experience so far. ofcourse there is probably a thread "somewhere" that might ambiguously answer your questions...but one might be left with some doubt...so, that being said, it seems to be a crime to ask for a direct answer to a certain question here in this forum. just sayin...

sorry to hijack the thread...just venting and feeling sorry for other guys asking questions and getting no where....
Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In your long history and 14 posts you have answered the long pondered question is tech helpful?

OP. You can cut them out but I like to leave the engine harness uncut if for any reason in the future you want to do a swap or part it out. Swap to a M6 etc. To me there isn't enough weight savings to do it.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I swap over to the 411 pcm, I'm getting rid of all the unnecessary wires, a/c, maf, abs, trans etc. It will be less wires that I have to move.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
OP. You can cut them out but I like to leave the engine harness uncut if for any reason in the future you want to do a swap or part it out. Swap to a M6 etc. To me there isn't enough weight savings to do it.
Agreed.....sometimes, it's better to leave things as they are for future/unforseen changes. At the same time, if the OP is absolutely certain that he's not going back to MAF, it can help to make an engine bay look a little more clean.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Metz Motorsports
understood...however not might experience so far. ofcourse there is probably a thread "somewhere" that might ambiguously answer your questions...but one might be left with some doubt...so, that being said, it seems to be a crime to ask for a direct answer to a certain question here in this forum. just sayin...

sorry to hijack the thread...just venting and feeling sorry for other guys asking questions and getting no where....
Could also be that not too many guys are swapping LS engines and powerglides into pre-98 fbodys. Just a guess.

I know on my 96 conversion there was little help as far as fitment of parts for my setup. Sometimes it takes lots of patience and....wait for it....searching. It's just a fact of life.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe this will help ya out.. http://store03.prostores.com/servlet...sh-wire/Detail
Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mudmanmatt
This is only needed on the 5 wire MAF setup so depends what harness the OP has.

98-02 F cars do not need this.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 99 truck harness.

From what I read on this subject, most cars that run forced induction right now run a SD tune.

I was only asking to remove the wires to clean up the engine bay. I suppose I could just shorten the wires and run them out of the way. Then just use an extension to the MAF if I ever need to run one.

Thanks for the reply's guys.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just remove them

Quick Reply: SD Tune, should I remove MAF wires?