Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I NEED a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I NEED a tune?

So I finally got tired of my car being a slow boring POS. So i called up texas speed and ordered a full top end stage1 package. LS6 intake, SLP lid, TSP 228r cam, PRC heads.

I know nothing about tuning and i want to know if i need a tune at this point or not. Im after driveability and sound vs all out HP.

If i do need a tune... what are my options? Is a diablo tuner enough to get me where i want to be or am i stuck sending my pcm into tsp for a mailorder tune?

I know enough to be dangerous mechanically and can learn about tuning... but not sure what to do since this i s the most modding i have done on a vehicle until now.

Your assistance and guidance would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer, yes you will need a tune. A mail order tune is a good solution but nothing can beat a dyno tune. Do not wait to get your car tuned.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I would definitely get a mail order tune at the least with those mods (dyno would be the best), don't know how much a handheld would help. Car will be a dog and a flat out pain to drive without a solid tune.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I was also just reading about tunedbyfrost.com ... sounds like a well respected tuner in the community
I was also thinking of buying another pcm and keeping the stock for the just incase factor. Guy told me that a 2002pcm would work flawlessly with my 99. Sound right to you guys?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stuinkuwait
I was also just reading about tunedbyfrost.com ... sounds like a well respected tuner in the community
I was also thinking of buying another pcm and keeping the stock for the just incase factor. Guy told me that a 2002pcm would work flawlessly with my 99. Sound right to you guys?
Frost would be a great choise, if possible skip the mail order and go to him for a dyno tune.
After doing the mods why would you want a stock PCM?
Not sure about the 2002/99 PCM working flawlessly, call Frost
Good luck/have fun
Johnny
Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will tell you that I went with a VERY similar setup and pretune I got 356whp on the dyno. After tuning I got 420whp. So absolutely yes you REALLY need a tune. Let alone the safety for your engine.

I also got a little help from Frost while tuning my car. He's usually really swamped but still a good guy to work with.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Well ... I did in fact go with a tune from frost and ... man was he unhappy with me. I dont know poop about tuning .... and I told him my setup and let him go to work. Thing is that he said ... "I have to be honest; the car is going to SUCK to drive on the stock stall." as I was planning on going with the stock trans converter.
Well Im not going for all out power here an just want that sound and drivability ... so I said ... well wait on the tune then and let me do some research on a tqconverter or a 6 speed swap ... boy that really pissed him off.

I call no fair ... I get that he is busy ... but Im a customer ... and Im new to tuning ... why the hostility??

So anyway ... now Im looking at a 3600 - 4k stall converter for my slush box or switching to a 6 speed (which I would rather do .. but also involves a lot more parts and work). This is just going to be a non stop thing and Im starting to wish I would have just left it alone and drove the stupid car.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

all on a car that has 140k + and worth two nickles rubbed together.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if I would like 3600 stall for the street. Some guys do, however my gray area of streetablity is quite different than most others. My 3200 is a little noticable but not bad. When you punch it believe me you know its a stall so I couldnt imagine anything between 3600-4000k for the street.

But from what I hear Frost is second to none for tuning. I have read of guys do mail order tune and then going to him to do a dyno run on only getting 10-15 hp more out it, and been more than one guy experiencing that. Now that is a DAMN good tuner in my books.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

If Frost/any tuner hooked up/begain tune and you stopped them before they could finish, think of the time/equment used up to that point, and what other customers work they had bepassed to work on the OP's car.
I would be highley pissed also, just a coment from someone "been there,done that"
Just my .02' Johnny
Old 09-15-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
If Frost/any tuner hooked up/begain tune and you stopped them before they could finish, think of the time/equment used up to that point, and what other customers work they had bepassed to work on the OP's car.
I would be highley pissed also, just a coment from someone "been there,done that"
Just my .02' Johnny
Totally agree! I'd be pissed too. Not sure exactly how it all went down (obviously), but asking for a full list of mods and customer expectations BEFORE starting any work can go a long way to curb frustration/wasting time.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have fun without a converter op...you did everything *** backwards and didnt do any research. And tsp should have told you not to run that h/c combo without a converter. You not only made the car run worse than before but also wasted time and money.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Wow... seriously... like you have been an automotive genius your whole life and never made a mistake. People here are really quick to call you out... arnt they
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We've all made mistakes, but when it comes to spending thousands on a performance car you need to know what you're doing and what makes it run better. Just because you added a ton of hp doesn't mean that it's all good now, you need to look at every aspect of a car before you start throwing power at it.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just got an FTI 3800 stall. its loose on the street, but its so awesome. stall is number one mod for an auto. car is an animal, and Im on the stock cam.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Well... i got a yankss3600 now and let Steve know... so we will see how I like the car after all the work. Engine is out and getting some bearings as we speak.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can't see how you could go wrong with a yank. I do agree, the stall was the first thing you should have done to this car since it's an A4, however, if you would prefer the 6 speed......why not take the time and do the swap? So far, it's my biggest regret and once the 4l60e takes a dump, i'm going to do the 6 speed swap. I have a fairly cheap converter, and i'm sure the yank will give you a lot better driving experience, but driving on the street has become more of an annoyance to me with the converter I have... in the end you're car should be an animal
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Well I think Im going to give what I have a try and see how I like the auto with the converter. If I decide I dont like it and still want to shift ... Im going to get rid of this car and just buy a camaross convertible with m6 that i have always wanted anyway.
From what everyone has told me... the converter really makes it a whole new car. Cant wait to experience it.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuinkuwait
Well I think Im going to give what I have a try and see how I like the auto with the converter. If I decide I dont like it and still want to shift ... Im going to get rid of this car and just buy a camaross convertible with m6 that i have always wanted anyway.
From what everyone has told me... the converter really makes it a whole new car. Cant wait to experience it.
Everyone that has told you that is telling you the truth. Even with my heavy car, just they Yank ST3000 that I had with the 3.73s made the car feel 1000lbs lighter. Oh, and there is nothing like the sound of a stalled auto IMO...unless it's a stalled, boosted auto lol.

Quick Reply: Do I NEED a tune?