PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno'd...and have some questions on tuning VE and maf...

Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dyno'd...and have some questions on tuning VE and maf...

I went to the dyno yesterday...ill have the thread in here...when we put my car down it did ok...but at around 5200 it would start getting lean...and got some KR...we couldnt get it right so we now have the MAF up to 6500 rpms...

stock maf btw...well i put on my 104mm lid and 100mm maf....same exact numbers!!!! WTF!!! well i argued that both mafs are running up to 6500 and it matters because both mafs will be telling the engine its flowing xx amounts of air....both of them will tell the same thing is how im putting it...

my fuel trims went through the roof when we put it on...we adjusted the stock maf table 20-30% in spots....but in the end this maf is giving the exact same info as the stock one is my arguement....no way a 75mm maf isnt a restriction at 5000+ rpms...and that a 4inch inlet isnt opening it up....

i really need someone to look at my tunes and help me out a bit....there should be no reason they are the same and no reason i should have to run on the MAF output up to 6500rpm....

i will find both my tunes here and post them up... the tune that says "maf" is the 100mm maf setup....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...st-intake.html
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Tower-3.hpt (441.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: hpt
Tower-maf-4.hpt (441.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump....
Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was under the impression that the PE table and MAF tables are the primary sources for fueling data at WOT at anything over the set threshold (I set mine at 3400rpm since I have a 3600 stall). I thought the VE table at WOT was mostly used as a sanity check so that if it is too far off for enough instances it will trigger a code for the MAF.

When tuning, if my car is lean/rich, I make adjustments to the MAF table and the fueling is corrected. This is confirmed with my wideband. This is how I understood to do it from the tuning book I have as well as the EFI live tutorials for autoVE/MAF tuning. It would make sense I should go back and correct the VE table as well but so far I have not and the car doesn't seem to notice.

If any of this is wrong please let me know, I'm here to learn too

For what it's worth, my engine setup is extremely close to yours except your heads should be a little better. I went from a stock 75mm screened MAF to an 85mm MAF with an aftermarket large mesh screen (each hole is twice the size of stock) and saw no gains in airflow while scanning and no gains at the track. Like I mentioned in your other thread, the only times I've seen people post legit gains from a larger MAF were when their car was making 460-500rwhp on a stingy Dynojet or a Mustang dyno.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dyno'd...and have some questions on tuning VE and maf...