Sponsored by:

E85 tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:21 AM
E_S
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 tune?

Does someone provide an E85 tune for the PCM with the green/blue connector? I currently have a normal LM7 engine, but would like to run it on E85. As the parts needed (fuel rails, injectors etc.) from the L59 flex-fuel is very hard to find here (pick-n-pull junkyard is not an option, I'm in Europe), a L59 conversion will be hard. I'm just thinking about having two PCMs, one with E85 tune and one standard gasoline and swap in the latter one if I'm somewhere I can't find E85.

Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the companies is making a dual tune ecu...holds two tunes and can be switched. I honestly forget which company though.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What vehicle is this in? Some 05-06 vehicles (like my Tahoe) have a flex fuel operating system in them that doesn't use a fuel sensor - it is refered to as a virtual flex fuel sensor... Possibly you could use an OS from one of those vehicles and have both tunes in one OS - it uses a sliding scale for stoich depending on the ethanol content (which is calculated at fuel fill-up). I have a write-up on how it operates - if you are interested, I can find it and post it up for you...
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
E_S
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is a '89 Caprice, but the engine/PCM is from a '04 Chevy Express, LM7 engine, PCM service number 12586243. If I understand correctly, this PCM has got the gasoline and the E85 maps, but the E85 maps and the fuel sensor input is disabled in the LM7 tune and enabled in the L59 (flexfuel option) tune.

Would love to have any information regarding this, as I live in Europe where gas at the moment is $9.60/gallon while E85 is "cheap" at $5.80/gallon.

If I could do this without having to source lots of parts I can't find here in Europe, it would be great!

Quick Reply: E85 tune?