Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light on after Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES Light on after Transmission Rebuild

Just had my transmission rebuilt last Friday. Driving the car home from the dealer, everything seemed perfect. No SES light or anything. Took car out on Sunday and again, no SES light. Car sat in garage until last night (Wednesday). I started the car, and when I got out of my neighborhood, my SES light came on. Ended up taking the car out for a cruise, driving about 30 miles or so. Engine didn't overheat at all. Everything seems fine. No weird noises or anything unusual. This is the first time my SES light has ever come on. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikez28
Just had my transmission rebuilt last Friday. Driving the car home from the dealer, everything seemed perfect. No SES light or anything. Took car out on Sunday and again, no SES light. Car sat in garage until last night (Wednesday). I started the car, and when I got out of my neighborhood, my SES light came on. Ended up taking the car out for a cruise, driving about 30 miles or so. Engine didn't overheat at all. Everything seems fine. No weird noises or anything unusual. This is the first time my SES light has ever come on. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Any input would be much appreciated.

if you dont have a scan tool like autotap or efilive... then go to autozone or advanced auto and ask them to check your ses code for you... the delaer can also do this but very easy to walk in the a auto parts store and ask + it's free. takes like 3min to pull the code.

make sure you get the code down on paper so you will not forget... should be something like pdxxxx X"s were the numbers would be

once you have that report back here and someone will help find out what the problem is. who knows the dealer might have forget to plug in a sensor or something. might not be a big deal if the car is running ok.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. Took the car out again yesterday and now the SES light is out. Go figure! Should I worry about this anymore? Or just see if it comes back on again?
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikez28
Ok. Took the car out again yesterday and now the SES light is out. Go figure! Should I worry about this anymore? Or just see if it comes back on again?
Thanks!
Like I said before if the car seems ok, I would think it would be ok to drive. Don’t go on a long trip or anything...

It is also important that you find out what the code was... this could cause you some problem down the road. The code is still stored in the pcm even after that fact the SES light is out.

I would take it to the auto parts store and just get the code pulled. Post it here and then we can help tell you if it's going to be a problem. It’s not something your gonna want to just forget about, could come back. Fix it right the 1st time.

Was Trans rebuilt under warranty? If so then the dealer will help fix the problem. Even if you paid them I think you would be in tilted for them to fix it… Trans rebuild and replacement is costly and I would not want to see you have to do it again.

Bottom line find out what the code was and post back. Might be nothing or it could be a code for a slipping clutch or something going in the Trans.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dissonance
Like I said before if the car seems ok, I would think it would be ok to drive. Don’t go on a long trip or anything...

It is also important that you find out what the code was... this could cause you some problem down the road. The code is still stored in the pcm even after that fact the SES light is out.

I would take it to the auto parts store and just get the code pulled. Post it here and then we can help tell you if it's going to be a problem. It’s not something your gonna want to just forget about, could come back. Fix it right the 1st time.

Was Trans rebuilt under warranty? If so then the dealer will help fix the problem. Even if you paid them I think you would be in tilted for them to fix it… Trans rebuild and replacement is costly and I would not want to see you have to do it again.

Bottom line find out what the code was and post back. Might be nothing or it could be a code for a slipping clutch or something going in the Trans.
I will try and take the car in to get the code this week or early next week and post it on the board to see what it could be. The Trans was not rebuilt under warranty, but I know the mechanic who did the job will take care of any problems, especially if related to the transmission rebuild. The transmission seems perfect, but you are right, I would not want to spend the money to get it rebuilt again. I hope and pray its not a code for a slipping clutch or something in the Trans.