PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE table tuning vs horsepower ???

Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VE table tuning vs horsepower ???

Correct me if Im wrong, but the VE table is the computers attempt to map out how much air gets in to the cylinder and any given load vs rpm spot on the map.
So, is it reasonable to assume that when tuning for mods, a good indication as to the mods effectiveness would be it impact on the ve table?
i.e., should I expect that when I add headers, intake, etc...much of the ve table should increment up in value, indicating that MORE air is getting in to the cylinder due to the modifications?
Here is the puzzling thing, after tuning for all on my mods (headers, intake, etc.) my entire VE table has all of the values settling LOWER that my stock VE table. On the order of 10% lower. Am I missing something??? Shouldnt my VE tuning trend towards a HIGHER volumetric efficiency??

FWIW, I have my commanded VE afr set to 14.7 stoich, and my PE commanded set to around 12.8 or so. The above trend is noticed when VE tuning using the redily available methods to disable, MAF, adaptive fueling, etc.

THANKS!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Some thoughts:
- was the previous tune correct (matching the previous engine mods)...?
- is the wideband working correctly...?
- do all the injector tables match the actual injectors...?
- did you set the stoich AFR in the tune to the correct value for the fuel you're using.

Are you comparing the modified VE against your previous one or against stock...?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joecar
Some thoughts:
- was the previous tune correct (matching the previous engine mods)...?
- is the wideband working correctly...?
- do all the injector tables match the actual injectors...?
- did you set the stoich AFR in the tune to the correct value for the fuel you're using.

Are you comparing the modified VE against your previous one or against stock...?
-Im comparing to stock.
-Im not sure I can completely rule out that my wideband may be doing something wierd, but as far as I know it is functioning properly, and calibrates as it should in free air.
-the injectors are stock
-the stoich value is unchanged from factory. Im tuning a stock ls1 with bolt ons to run pump gas

relevant mods are long tubes, lid, removed AIR injection. No obvious leaks
Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
Correct me if Im wrong, but the VE table is the computers attempt to map out how much air gets in to the cylinder and any given load vs rpm spot on the map.
So, is it reasonable to assume that when tuning for mods, a good indication as to the mods effectiveness would be it impact on the ve table?
i.e., should I expect that when I add headers, intake, etc...much of the ve table should increment up in value, indicating that MORE air is getting in to the cylinder due to the modifications?
Here is the puzzling thing, after tuning for all on my mods (headers, intake, etc.) my entire VE table has all of the values settling LOWER that my stock VE table. On the order of 10% lower. Am I missing something??? Shouldnt my VE tuning trend towards a HIGHER volumetric efficiency??

FWIW, I have my commanded VE afr set to 14.7 stoich, and my PE commanded set to around 12.8 or so. The above trend is noticed when VE tuning using the redily available methods to disable, MAF, adaptive fueling, etc.

THANKS!!!!
basic rule of thumb would be, if the car is in pure speed density (VE calculations only) and the only thing changed is increased airflow (ie. hp) without retuning the VE, the motor will go lean. obviously it works vice versa as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
basic rule of thumb would be, if the car is in pure speed density (VE calculations only) and the only thing changed is increased airflow (ie. hp) without retuning the VE, the motor will go lean. obviously it works vice versa as well.
I agree, and what you said makes logical sense. But if that were the case, then wouldnt the expected outcome from the increased airflow be an adjustment upward in the VE table? Not down as I am seeing? The only other possibility if your statement is correct would be that by installing headers and an intake I have drastically DECREASED my engines power and efficiency. See what Im trying to say?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you seeing the VE table go down in the upper rpms? I have to take a lot out of the VE table down low due to the cam size but put a bunch in past 4500
Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by outkast6991
Are you seeing the VE table go down in the upper rpms? I have to take a lot out of the VE table down low due to the cam size but put a bunch in past 4500
down across the board
Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

compare you cylair and airflow numbers before and after.

if they are higher after, then the previous tune was junk.

Last edited by Wnts2Go10O; 10-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most stock cars have the ve too rich at idle/ cruising areas then too lean at wot.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kind of odd since you didnt cam it......with aftermarket cams you will see that cause they arent as efficient at idle and cruise so you have to take some out. However the mid to top end you will probably have to add a bunch.

But it might be that with those headers that the volume effiency at idle isnt as good......and really gets better with RPMs so you have to add a bunch. If the wideband is comfirming that........I would tune it to what it is telling you. And check the plugs here and there also. They are the real tell tells of what is going on.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps the GM calibration engineers do not populate the stock VE table using the same reasoning and methods you are using.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Perhaps the GM calibration engineers do not populate the stock VE table using the same reasoning and methods you are using.
yeah, id be very interested to see what the commanded AFR errors would be for VE when scanning a completely stock car with stock tune. I would assume that everything would be dead on for the most part....but maybe not. If not, that would prove your theory.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the MAF unplugged? in other words, are you absolutely sure it is in SD?

Also, what muffler/catback do you have?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you getting a MAF DTC...? (you should)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VE table tuning vs horsepower ???