Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car running super rich? bad o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car running super rich? bad o2 sensor

hey guys recently my ses light came on, it was low efficeincy left bank two. i thought immediately it was a cat since they have 72000 miles on them. i went to my muffler guy and he said their was nothing wrong with the cats, (they blow a small hole through your pipe with a torch and check for backpressure readings). i just recently installed the f1 nitrous kit and tr6's with a fuel pump. i was going to go to the dyno and wideband it before the damn light came on, now i must fix before i go. i pulled a couple of plugs out and damnit if they werent BLACK. they stunk of gas bad. would a bad o2 sensor cause the car to foul plugs like that? i also just installed a cutout but its in my intermediate pipe, could that be any relation? i dont know if this is any importance but when i first was using my n20 (about 6 runs) the car was surgign bad due to low bottle pressure..(i had no idea then about the importance of pressure) could i have fouled the plugs out then,resulting in my light i have now? sorry all of the questions, just dont want to go buy an 02 sensor and the plugs be the problem,then again i dont want to put in new plugs and have the bad o2 foul them out. i am running the tr6's with the gap they come with ...35 or .38 i cant remember.
thanks matt
Old 04-10-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would remove the plugs and clean them up just to be sure they are fine. I would go to Autozone, clear the code and then drive around and do a few N2O runs. If the SES comes back on and is the same I would then either buy O2 simms or have the rear O2 codes deleted. They are not really needed for performance and your drivability will not suffer by deleting the codes or running simms. However if you have a bad cat and the O2's are fine then you may have exhaust flow problems from a clogged cat.

Quick Reply: car running super rich? bad o2 sensor