Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new engine running, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new engine running, thoughts?

I wanted to share some details of my current Z06 setup and see if experience from anyone here can help critique and/or verify a few points.

416 LS3 9.3:1 static 237/254 155+3 .620 lift (15* overlap).
Trick Flow 235cc heads, -20cc Wiseco pistons
90mm throttle body, Port matched LSXr102 intake
Spinning an F1A to 14psi at 6500 rpm.
DeWitts 2”cut down radiator w/ EOC, Spal fans
Meziere EWP 160* thermostat

The engine is running good but I feel that it is running on the hot side (215F to 190F depending on ambient 90F-75F) at low 1600-2000 rpm cruising load (.30 to .45 g/cyl) 33 to 28 degrees timing. I am going to experiment with timing at cruse and see if this will affect ECT and also watch map. At idle it seems to get very toasty too. Low speed is set to 189F and high at 192F. I am beginning to think that this is going to be a fall winter spring car and definitely not a Texas summer car.

I am idling at 0.30 g/cyl at 900 rpm and 25* advance. Minimum airflow is around 13g/s warm. I think that with the cam, low compression and spinning the blower contribute to the higher airflow at idle. I may need to bump all low rpm cells up 3 degrees just from the low compression and another 6 because of the cam. This will put me at 26 in my idle cells if using a stock tune of 17 degrees.

Regarding timing, I understand that about ¾ degrees of timing = ¼ point in CR. What about combining increased displacement and more overlap at low to mid RPM. What are the affects of each? I am using a modified ZR1 timing map in the low load/rpm and high rpm/low load cells, not WOT as that set to be safe on 93 octane. This is running pretty good but wondering if I need more timing down low as mentioned above?

Quick Reply: new engine running, thoughts?