PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers burned after cam install/tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 02:09 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers burned after cam install/tuning?

My headers are toasted after a cam (TSP 231/237) and a dyno tune. Is this normal? I know on supercharged cars it is a given, but I thought maybe I wouldn't get burned headers with an N/A setup. The headers were pretty much brand new before the install. Has anyone else had toasted headers after a cam install? I don't mind too much that it happened, I just want to make sure everything is OK. A/F is between 12.9 and 13.2 for the entire dyno pull.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
My headers are toasted after a cam (TSP 231/237) and a dyno tune. Is this normal? I know on supercharged cars it is a given, but I thought maybe I wouldn't get burned headers with an N/A setup. The headers were pretty much brand new before the install. Has anyone else had toasted headers after a cam install? I don't mind too much that it happened, I just want to make sure everything is OK. A/F is between 12.9 and 13.2 for the entire dyno pull.
Usually when your headers are running too hot it means your timing is retarded. The spark is happening late so the fuel is still burning when your exh valves open and its weenie roast time on the headers. Why your timing is retarded is what you'll have to find out. you mentioned a cam install. Was your cam installed straight up? you may have a valve event happening too early. If you can get into your PCM I'd try advancing some timing there. Watch your knock sensor too.