PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-10-2016, 03:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

BRAKE warning light issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BRAKE warning light issue

So, periodically while I am driving, the red BRAKE warning light will come on. I won't be doing any braking, it just turns on. Sometimes, if I go over really rough rail road tracks, it will go on. Regular braking is completely unaffected. I've checked my brake oil level and it's nice and full. I also had the reservoir oil level sensor replaced as well. Was advised that I might have to replace the brake master cylinder. Can anyone chime in? Need some further advise. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

Are you getting any SES lights? Have you scanned for any DTC that might not be triggering a light? Is this the original rear? Did you replace a 4 channel with a 3 channel or some such? Checked signal grounds? Checked the parking brake sensors?

Not very much info here for anyone to go on. At this point it is just guessing as I have done.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I've had the ABS INOP light and ASR OFF lights on for months now (problem with the ABS module). It is the original rear. No codes being thrown. Not sure about the grounds or where the parking brake sensor is. Again, sometimes the light just turns on while I am driving down the road.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thecobrahunter
Well, I've had the ABS INOP light and ASR OFF lights on for months now (problem with the ABS module). It is the original rear. No codes being thrown. Not sure about the grounds or where the parking brake sensor is. Again, sometimes the light just turns on while I am driving down the road.
It is tied to those lights. Why you ignored something like that for months is beyond me.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...well I don't have $850+ for the part and $250+ to pay the dealership just to set up an appointment and be seen. with all the people who've disabled their ASR and don't have issues with non-op ABS, right now I'm trying to save up $$$ for a new engine as it's been starting to burn oil (nice blue smoke from exhaust). Was just wondering why this brake light thing just started up in the last couple of weeks. That's the irritating thing.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems on top of problems.....

I would correct your initial problems first. Letting issues snowball always leads to things like this, and it makes it even harder to figure out what is going on. These problems could very well be related, but you could also check the parking brake sensor, the switch on the lever mechanism inside the console could be jostled when you hit bumps. As for your ABS and Traction control being in-op, are you really sure it is a problem with the control module? More likely it is a pigtail or ABS sensor out on the chassis that isn't making a connection, ABS sensors commonly fail on GM's. If it did turn out to be the control module, there is no way you should be paying $850 for any part like that when you have this forum full of parts for sale and cars being parted out, and Im sure the wealth of knowledge here along with a Gm service manual will get this sorted out without ever going near a dealership.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. Way back when I had the codes checked for it, I forgot to write the specific code down (I'm going back on Monday to have it checked again). But it was something like a closed (or open?) valve...or something. About 6 months ago I had both front rotors changed (damn integrated speed sensors) and that got rid of 2 of the ABS error codes [at 25mph, 1 sensor was reading 50mph and the other was reading 75mph!). So no I am just left with the 1 thrown code. Will definitely start looking here for a replacement ABS unit. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the same size wheels on the front and back? this could cause your brake/abs/tcs light to stay on after driving for a little while.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do have 17s up front and 18s in back, but I made this change back on March 9, 2004; over 8 years ago with a single BRAKE light issue.

Quick Reply: BRAKE warning light issue