Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone explain this P1415

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Someone explain this P1415

My ses light will come on and stay on for few days then it will go off. It randomly does this every 3 months and always throws p1415 air code. My question is why does the light come on then go away?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the secondary air system bank 1. The PCM commands the air pump on and looks for the o2 sensors to drop and the short term fuel trim to go up. If one side or the other does not respond it will set the code. I ran into this a few years ago . It turned out that the check valve between the steel tube and the rubber air pump hose on top of the engine had been getting moisture in it and sticking. It finnally stuck closed and would not let any air thru . Best troubleshooting i have done is pull the hoses off both check valves and see if air blows out when the air pump is commanded on with a scanner. or remove the check valves and try to blow thru them. Should be able to go thru one way only . They are cheap from GM but can be a pain to break loose.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, do you still have the AIR injection system hooked up with long tubes and an ORY? Did you not use the block off plates or delete the air system? If you did, just have someone turn it off in the computer...ie a tuner. The light comes on and goes off b/c the Air system doesnt run constantly. It kicks on and off. So if its off, there is no code.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Both times I had this code it was due to one of the AIR check valves being stuck closed. First time I just replaced it. Second time I took the check valve off, sprayed liquid wrench inside and let it sit, then use a screwdriver to unstick it. It should let air pass through into the exhaust manifold but not the other direction. You can test it my blowing into it.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

It was tuned out and came back. I disconnected the battery and ran through a drive cycle and its back off.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird...if it was tuned out it shouldnt have been a problem for you.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was not tuned out at all. I missed that code which you know about. I just need the car or computer to turn off that 1 code. No big deal to get rid of.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
It was not tuned out at all. I missed that code which you know about. I just need the car or computer to turn off that 1 code. No big deal to get rid of.
Yeah but I had this happen about a year ago too. I just found it strange that it goes on and then off. No big deal I was just curious.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

The sensor is detecting that the AIR system isn't working properly. If the system is on the brink of not working, as in, it works most of the time but maybe just once the sensor senses that something is wrong, you will get an SES light. Then the light will go off after it's hasn't sensed a problem for awhile. It can do this cycle many times, but as the issue gets worse the light may stay on. Or it could fix itself, not likely though.

I'd start by checking the check valves, make sure they aren't stuck closed.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure we pulled of the air system. If the code gets deleted it will never come back on.

Quick Reply: Someone explain this P1415