Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuners & VVT help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP tuners & VVT help please!!!

Guys, I could really use some help here. I have a mast cammed LY6 w- LS3 intake, DBW and all the normal bolt ons as well in. 67 Cutlass conv. have a 4l85e stock converter and a 3:70 9" rear. Can't find a single person anywhere around me that can tune the VVT correctly. i have been burned twice so far. Found some great guys locally that finally have my car running well enough to drive around but it's no where as strong as it should be according to MAST and others running similar combos. They have never messed with a VVT motor so The VVT is turned off. Car is an absolute pig off the line, fairly decent in the upper rpm's but nowhere as strong as it should be for this combo.
I have a copy of my tune in an email they sent me but I can't open or do anything with it as I don't have hp tuners or a laptop... Only an iPad.
Any tuning gurus out there that wouldn't mind takings look at it for obvious problems if I emailed it to them? A guy in Jacksonville offered to help me but he couldn't open the file as he uses EFI live. I'm at my end of my rope here.
Steve.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's probably more VVT info over in the GenIV internal engine section, or the HPTuners web forum. But if you want to post your tune here, someone may be able to take a look at it. If the cam is installed properly, there are no mechanical problems, and vvt is shutoff in the tune, you should have the best power down low with it fully advanced.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks!!! I reposted it on the genIV forum as well. I would love to post the tune here but I can't... Without me having hp myself, it seems all I can do is forward the email that was sent to me with the tune attached to it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

I run a mast vvt cam as well and tune a lot of vvt setups. If I can help in any way let me know.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Rhino... Thanks so much and yes I would def like to chat a bit and get some advice or direction from you. My email is stevenkanner@yahoo.com if you can shoot me your # ill give you a buzz at your convenience. I'll try to pm you also in case you don't see this.
Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kanner1
Guys, I could really use some help here. I have a mast cammed LY6 w- LS3 intake, DBW and all the normal bolt ons as well in. 67 Cutlass conv. have a 4l85e stock converter and a 3:70 9" rear. Can't find a single person anywhere around me that can tune the VVT correctly. i have been burned twice so far..
Is the MAF stock from the 2008 LY6 vehicle?

Did you leave the LS3 injectors in (from a 2010 Camaro or Vette?) or did you swap in the LY6 injectors?

Who spec'd/ordered/installed the cam? Was the correct cam/phaser combo maintained and did you have the CompCam Phaser limiter installed?

What are the specs on the MAST VVT cam you installed?

So far the tune looks decent, but the questions above may give more insight.

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 12-11-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies!!

The MAF is from a corvette
Injectors are the stock lS3 from a camaro
Cam and springs was installed by the guy in Jax, FL I bought the motor from. He has a solid reputation. Not a clue about the phaser but i dont recall anything about a comp cam limiter. The cam Is MAST Vortec Max Cam # 964-202
218/230
564/578

Quick Reply: HP tuners & VVT help please!!!