PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has stock-like, or better than stock, idle manners with big cam and/or big CUBES

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Who has stock-like, or better than stock, idle manners with big cam and/or big CUBES

402" here with a 239/251 .624 .624 113+3 LSA and ample over lap:

stock idle @ 800 rpm's (ac on and off), stock idle timing @ 22*, smoother/better than stock behavior

If you have, post 'em up!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Big Cams won't drive better than a good stock car.Just comes down to how much non-stock you can handle which will dictate how big you can go.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

The cubes also dictate what a "big cam" is. A big cam to a 347 may not be a big cam for a 408.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

I am extremely pleased with the fact that I have no idle hunting, no idle dip, no idle surge, no idle swing, excellent transition back to idle, same idle behavior hot or cold, and a nice chop to hear the cam

Albeit I've spent hours and hours researching and tuning; it was all worth it in the end.

BTW: I had a 244/256 cam for 2 years before my current cam with similar idle behavior.

Gas milage sucks when you drop the hammer but acceptable at part-throttle.

Last edited by The Dragon; 12-16-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the term stock like... But not better than stock. That isn't happening.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How posting up a log showing your perfect manners?

Idle as you stated is part of the process, I would really to see some low gear steady state under 2k rpm. As well light throttle transitions starting @ 1k rpm in 200 rpm increments up to 2k rpm in gears 1,2 & 3. Then off the throttle with the clutch fully engaged & lightly back on the throttle.

The of course just the stop & go with the perfect return to idle.

Hopefully you will demostrate the above & maybe somethings I've not mentioned. Then we need to talk about sharing the secrets!

I spoke with a tuner that was 1K miles from my location, he claimed that he could tune my big cam & resolve the above issue's. I asked for a log showing the above as he had tuned the idnetical combination to mine with perfect manners. That was two years ago, still have not heard back from him
Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

There are no "secrets" to share.

Do you know how many hours and hours and HOURS GM engineers devote to just the tune of a performance vehicle?

The only secret is logging, changing, logging, experimenting, and doing it repeatedly dozens of times. Until you get it right.

In all reality; no tuner is going to spend weeks and weeks on one car to get it perfect (who could, or WOULD, be willing to pay that bill)

I posted my question to those tuners that have their own personal cars tuned right.

It takes STUPID time to get the tune perfect. And no single tune is the "IT" tune.

Every motor is different. Add to that the myriad of combinations of bolt-ons, power adders, displacement, flow differences, etc.

Sorry; no way to get a 30 min-60 min tune and expect it to be perfect (unless the car is stock lol).

EDIT: you could have two identical cars with identical modifications and STILL need two different tunes. No two builds will produce, or require, identical parameters.

Originally Posted by ctd
How posting up a log showing your perfect manners?

Idle as you stated is part of the process, I would really to see some low gear steady state under 2k rpm. As well light throttle transitions starting @ 1k rpm in 200 rpm increments up to 2k rpm in gears 1,2 & 3. Then off the throttle with the clutch fully engaged & lightly back on the throttle.

The of course just the stop & go with the perfect return to idle.

Hopefully you will demostrate the above & maybe somethings I've not mentioned. Then we need to talk about sharing the secrets!

I spoke with a tuner that was 1K miles from my location, he claimed that he could tune my big cam & resolve the above issue's. I asked for a log showing the above as he had tuned the idnetical combination to mine with perfect manners. That was two years ago, still have not heard back from him
Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Does that mean no logs demonstrating the better than stock behavior?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ctd
Does that mean no logs demonstrating the better than stock behavior?
Ding ding ding!

Title of thread was "Who has stock-like, or better than stock-like, ..."

Not:

"Let me take time out of my day to go to my tuning mini-laptop (which does NOT go online; EVER other than to update EFILive) and transfer a log to a USB. THEN transfer said log from USB to my MBP and attach it in a post on tech for YOU when it benefits me in no way"

I will repeat: my question was for the guys that sweat over their own tunes and actually tune their own cars.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sounds like you got it tuned around your driving style which is good. You might let someone else drive it and it stalls. That's the hardest thing for a tuner to tune it for the driver. I have no problem driving a huge cam car anywhere and the passengers would think its stock by changing driving style.

For your question about the time tuners take on there own vehicles. My avalanche had a cam put in it in 06. Spent about 15-20 minutes on the tune. Been the for 90k miles. My recent car made 975rwhp. Spent 1/2 hr on the dyno for all tuning.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Driving style....very good point!

Slowhawk, you are a cheater. You get to tune everyday!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by ctd
Driving style....very good point!

Slowhawk, you are a cheater. You get to tune everyday!
That is the catch. I dream tuning. Got most tunes memorized so I never copy/paste, just write them. So, in my eye's if a tune takes days to get right from a "good" tuner, then they are not good because it took too long.
For a person doing it themselves it can take many weeks to get the tune right. Thats just trial/error.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I agree with that.

I went around in a circle changing almost everything and ended up with a tune so close to stock with only a couple of key values changed.

Ive seen guys start from a blank cal and fill and blend all the tables by hand. Very impressive. Im guessing it takes quite a few tunes to get to that stage.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ringram
Yeah I agree with that.

I went around in a circle changing almost everything and ended up with a tune so close to stock with only a couple of key values changed.

Ive seen guys start from a blank cal and fill and blend all the tables by hand. Very impressive. Im guessing it takes quite a few tunes to get to that stage.
100% Get the basics & many things fall into place. Still with large cams you need to do some things to calm the surge or not set it off.

I learned the circle as well...it's funny how few tables you need to change.

Quick Reply: Who has stock-like, or better than stock, idle manners with big cam and/or big CUBES