Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune changes with open headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tune changes with open headers?

Probably a dumb question but Ive been wondering. I have a cammed 02 ls1 and got some new headers ( i had 1 3/4 hookers, went to 1 7/8 tsp) and with the way the new headers sit under the car my custom duals wouldnt fit with the stock tq arm the way it did before, anyway I left the shop and am currently running open headers (till i get my mwc 9"/new tq arm).

I realize this isnt ideal as it was tuned for the duals and what not, but am I going to hurt anything being that there is a substancial loss of back pressure compared to before? It runs a bit rough (misses sometimes, had ses flash once while driving) until about 2500-3000rpm and then seems normal again just WAY louder. I dont have a wideband, so I dont know what the afrs look like in its current condition. As a rule of thumb would it lean or richen with the changes I made?

Im not driving the car till I can get the new rear in and get the duals redone. The shop mentioned that during the header swap one of the plugs was cracked so they replaced that one and re gapped it to match the one they took out, could there possibly be more cracked plugs causing this rough running?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Eric
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

More than likely, the headers are just throwing codes. They can throw a bunch. They will mess with the 02 sensors as well. If you had a wideband it would probably not read right either with no exhaust.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ive currently got 02 sims in the headers, so it isnt throwing any codes related to that. From some of the reading Ive done it looks like it should be safe to drive though?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fly boy_1
Ive currently got 02 sims in the headers, so it isnt throwing any codes related to that. From some of the reading Ive done it looks like it should be safe to drive though?
Unless your car is tuned to run without O2s, I would not drive the car around.

If it still miss, yeah most definitely there might be more fouled or cracked plugs. Check them all to be sure.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fly boy_1
If you got simms in the front 02 plugs and the tune still usses the 02's it is not running right and can do damage long term.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
If you got simms in the front 02 plugs and the tune still usses the 02's it is not running right and can do damage long term.
I believe its just using simulators in the rear sensors, the ones right at the collector on the headers. The front 02 sensor is in the intake or something right?

FWIW when it was tuned the O2 sims were in there, it just had the full exhaust on it. All that was done was a header swap, and the duals were not re installed if that helps clarify better. Thanks again for all the info guys.

Eric
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The ones on the collectors are the upstream o2s.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

Now I'm really confused, where are the downstream 02's located then? Since I've had the car it's had LT headers and had the sims when I bought it. If it was tuned with the 02 sensor arrangement as is, with the exhaust being removed will I risk damage?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Down stream o2s are for after the cats. They were probably taken out when the headers were originally done. Most people ditch them.

As for sims...im not a tuner so idk but it sounds like slowhawk answered your question.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the headers are wide open with the 02s at the end of the collector reversion
will drive them apeshit. A couple feet of pipe would make a big differnce. It will run better
with them unplugged. You need to get the exhaust back on the car.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, I was under the impression that the sensors at the collectors were the sims but they are the actual front 02s. Makes sense now.

So having driven maybe 10-15 miles with a lack of exhaust are my 02 sensors going to go bad? In retrospect I should have had my exhaust shop throw some bullets and turndowns on till I can get the duals back on.

Quick Reply: Tune changes with open headers?