PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound like a tuning issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this sound like a tuning issue?

Ok, I installed my 408 in my 2001 SS and managed to put about 30 miles on it with my temporary tune that my tuner gave me. I let the car sit for about a week before I could drive it again and when I went to start it it would crank and turn over but immediatly die, every few starts it will rev itself up to about 200rpm then die. My tune is a speed density tune, I know until the tune is really dialed in sd is hard to work with but is threre anytihing such as weather changes or any other varibles that could affect the car not wanting to stay running. Also I have never been able to give the car throttle until it has reached full opperating termperature so when I try to give it any gas to keep it running it dies immediatly also. I have scanned it and have 0 codes but have changed IAT, TPS, IAC, plugs, fuel pump/ filter, cam position sensor, crank sensor, and have sanded and cleaned all grounds. Im frustrated as hell and my tuner keeps telling me theres nothing he can do until its in front of him but hes two hours away and I cant drive the car. I dont understand what happen over a matter of a week to cause this to happen. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by D01ss; 12-27-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Your tuner makes a valid point. It is almost impossible to diagnose a problem like that without the car. However, if you have the tools you can check for constant fuel pressure, and spark. These can disappear without throwing a code. If it is a SD turn.e than I would be hesitant to drive it any where before it can be datalogged by your tuner to make sure it is even in safe operating range with fuel and timing. Why would you run an SD tune if you are not in reach of tuning? I am no expert, just curious.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the tuner come to your home and pay him travel expenses, it will be much cheaper for you than driving the untuned 408 to him. 2 hrs is not a big distance.
I do a lot of travel for tuning and I find it's better to tune SD cars in their home city.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustinT
Your tuner makes a valid point. It is almost impossible to diagnose a problem like that without the car. However, if you have the tools you can check for constant fuel pressure, and spark. These can disappear without throwing a code. If it is a SD turn.e than I would be hesitant to drive it any where before it can be datalogged by your tuner to make sure it is even in safe operating range with fuel and timing. Why would you run an SD tune if you are not in reach of tuning? I am no expert, just curious.
Only reason I am going sd is because thats what he recommended for my set up. I think I am going to just trailer it out to him because Im pretty dumb when it comes down to tuning and I just want it right.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I put a friends MAF tune in for his car just to see if it starts up and my car fired right up and ran perfect. So I sent the PCM back to the tuner and told him whats going on, well when I go it back it actually started this time after numerous attempts but it ran fairly well for about 10 miles or so then it started bucking violently and stalled and wouldn't start back up. I called my tuner today and he said it could be bad o2 sensors causing the havoc but before I go out and by another set of o2's does this sound like a possible problem. The car does smell like its dumping tons of fuel and my wideband is reading kind of high but I am not getting any ses codes. He recommended keeping SD so Im still trying make this work but it seems like every time I hook my MAF back up and put a MAF PCM back in it starts and runs just fine.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unplug both O2 from harness, disconnect battery for 5 min and try again.

If O2 are faulty, the problem won't come back.
If it does the same, then you have another problem.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a tuning issue?