PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Site and Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Site and Need Help

I just moved to Denver last fall and need to pass an emissions test. My SES light came on when I was moving out here from NH. Had the codes checked at O'Reilly's and I had P0171 and P0174. Because I have a K&N CAI, someone said that my MAF sensor is likley dirty from air filter oil. Cleaned the MAF (with the spray cleaner for MAF sensors) and reset the computer by pulling the PCM BAT and PCM IGN fuses. Drove around until the car stabilized and the SES light stayed off. After reading a post on here last night I actually pulled the MAF sensor again and cleaned it very carefully using Qtips and alcohol and then finished it off with the spray cleaner. I also changed the fuel filter yesterday because it has been a couple of years (20k) and was told that a clogged filter can cause those codes.

Today I took a little road trip. The SES light came back on. I ran and had the codes checked. The same two showed up but also a P300.

Like I mentioned, I am on expired tags and need to pass emissions here. Not going to pass with those codes

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, might be good to know that I do not know that much about cars...sort of a real newb.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took a little road trip down to colorado springs 2 days ago to get my t/a registered. No cats, no air, no egr, cammed & headers...

8830 North Union Boulevard
Colorado Springs

Been doing it for years... My car smells like 'Merica

edit: You might want to see whats going on with your car though p300 is a random misfire and I don't see anything in your mod list that would warrant that code to pop up.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
I just took a little road trip down to colorado springs 2 days ago to get my t/a registered. No cats, no air, no egr, cammed & headers...

Colorado Springs

edit: You might want to see whats going on with your car though p300 is a random misfire and I don't see anything in your mod list that would warrant that code to pop up.
Well, that would be awesome.

Just curious...don't you have to have your car registered in the same city you live in? I thought that was the case. My wife just told me that when she registered her car they made an announcement that anyone not from Denver County cannot register their car at that location and told them to leave.

I am going to pursue the codes, but I HAVE to get this thing registered...been on expired out-of-state plates for too long now
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The MAF -could- cause lean codes but would have to
be really whacked to pull +25% fuel trims. Only swapping
in a wrong MAF has ever given me a MAF related code.

Now bad O2 sensors will also drive you right into the
weeds, trim-wise. If you were all clever and had
someone kill all your front O2 codes, you would not know
the sensors were going out.

If you could get a scan tool hooked up, read the MAF
frequency and look at the O2 sensor voltage activity,
you might get an idea of where the problem lies.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS.SIX

Colorado Springs

I used to register my old Grand Prix in Weld county at my pop's house where emissions weren't required a while back. I got pulled over in Adams county where i lived and got a ticket for registering it out of county... Now they are required to get emission's. Are they just scanning for codes and readiness monitors in Springs? Or are they putting it on the dyno? It sucks here in Denver county because some cars get the dyno and some don't. But engine swaps get nitpicked to death....
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know in NC doesn't matter who you know if you have a SES light on then the car will not pass.

Random misfire can usually be plug related and is easy and inexpensive to change.

MAF codes I usually find with these cars require a new(brand new) MAF is usually just reading much lower than it should. Same with o2 sensors.

As Jimmy stated a scan would reveal both the MAF and o2's.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor K
Well, that would be awesome.

Just curious...don't you have to have your car registered in the same city you live in? I thought that was the case. My wife just told me that when she registered her car they made an announcement that anyone not from Denver County cannot register their car at that location and told them to leave.

I am going to pursue the codes, but I HAVE to get this thing registered...been on expired out-of-state plates for too long now
I've registered about 5 different vehicles there without any question. Been pulled over as well never had any problems. I use a business associate's address and have the mail forwarded to my aurora address no problem.

No dyno test, no obd scanner. Walk into the office, take a ticket, sit down, get called, get plates, pay, leave. Simple.

Only roughly 13% of pollution comes from the transportation sector. How about they fit a catalytic converter to a cow *** instead http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghg...ns/global.html

Even better yet... release E100.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The MAF -could- cause lean codes but would have to
be really whacked to pull +25% fuel trims. Only swapping
in a wrong MAF has ever given me a MAF related code.

Now bad O2 sensors will also drive you right into the
weeds, trim-wise. If you were all clever and had
someone kill all your front O2 codes, you would not know
the sensors were going out.

If you could get a scan tool hooked up, read the MAF
frequency and look at the O2 sensor voltage activity,
you might get an idea of where the problem lies.
Will be getting scanned ASAP. Thought I would start with possible issues that aren't spendy and are good routine maintenance anyway (e.g. cleaning MAF, changing fuel filter).

Done a bit of research on the 171 and 174 codes and have seen mixed messages about possibility of O2 Sensors. Some say yes, some no. Confusing.

Just want to get it fixed..and pass emissions.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
I know in NC doesn't matter who you know if you have a SES light on then the car will not pass.

Random misfire can usually be plug related and is easy and inexpensive to change.

MAF codes I usually find with these cars require a new(brand new) MAF is usually just reading much lower than it should. Same with o2 sensors.

As Jimmy stated a scan would reveal both the MAF and o2's.
Going to pursue the MAF and O2 possibility. The plugs and wires I have were put in about 15k ago...wouldn't think they would be the issue, but still could be.

Thanks for posting.

After cleaning the MAF sensor and changing the fuel filter didn't work, I had to pursue other possibilities.

Due to a stroke of luck, I met someone on here who lives down the street from me. Dropped it by his place and he tested the fuel pressure, which was fine. Due to being lean on both banks, the problem was unlikely a fuel delivery issue.

Next thing I know, he is under the hood and pulls off the pcv elbow hose which had a huge gash in it. That was most likely the culprit. Will know for sure after driving a bit without the SES coming back on.

Thanks to 85GPLEf41 for his help and expertise!

I might just be able to pass emissions now
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Let us know what comes of this please!! I am pretty sure this will take care of it and get you "legal" lol!! Again nice meeting you and glad i can help! I'm no expert by any means... I'm looking forward to drinking some Heineken's and swapping out that Cavalier's engine this weekend! LOL! Glad i could help a car guy like myself! BTW your ride is a sexy B*%&H... I hope to get my swap done ASAP!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 85GPLEf41
Let us know what comes of this please!! I am pretty sure this will take care of it and get you "legal" lol!! Again nice meeting you and glad i can help! I'm no expert by any means... I'm looking forward to drinking some Heineken's and swapping out that Cavalier's engine this weekend! LOL! Glad i could help a car guy like myself! BTW your ride is a sexy B*%&H... I hope to get my swap done ASAP!
Well, let ME know if I can help you with anything!! Not that I am good at much lol
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Good talking to ya the other day, hope we can help get this sorted out for ya! ~ Shane with J&S Performance and Tuning

Quick Reply: New to Site and Need Help