Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley efi

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holley efi

Has anyone used there dominator efi kit yet? Im going to be using it on a car that Im helping a guy build and holley says they can give me a base tune and the rest is self learning by the computer?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Why not just go with the factory computer? Even at 1200hp the factory computers do just fine...
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wait4me
Why not just go with the factory computer? Even at 1200hp the factory computers do just fine...
trust me that what I said to the guy running it. he stuck on using it because it says self learning
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Did you tell him that the factory pcm is self learning as well? ohh well...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it on two cars works great. Base tune gets the car running then it builds the fuel map. closed loop works perfect. Still need a understanding of efi.

Tim
Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a great software but factory computer can hold up very well.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I have it on two cars works great. Base tune gets the car running then it builds the fuel map. closed loop works perfect. Still need a understanding of efi.

Tim

One thing that bothers me with the setups is, that if you have a Vacuum leak, or a exhaust leak or bad/contaminated sensor, it will skew your engine tune VERY badly. What it thinks is right is very wrong..
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't be happier with mine. The learning speed between a Holley and stock ECU isn't anywhere near that close. I run E85 in my car and we got some winter blend that only measured 76% ethanol compared to the stuff my car originally learned on which was 90%. The AF dipped into the low 10's and once closed loop kicked in it took less than than half a minute for the car to clear up and correct the A/F at cruising speed. Then throw in the nitrous and boost controller and I can attest to how the auto correct has saved my engine with my nitrous set up due to a failing nitrous solenoid.

If you have a bad sensor, vacuum or exhaust leak any engine management system is going to have problems. Only real risk with the Holley is the wideband sensor going bad and the person behind the keyboard. However once your tune is dialed in you should be restricting the correction factor to 5% or less in case the wideband does go bad it can't make enough of a change in the fuel to damage anything.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you tell him that the factory pcm is self learning as well? ohh well...
no its isnt......its only half self learning....and its only at part throttle... theres no learning at WOT which is far more important than part throttle corrections

you said it... they do just fine.. not spectacular... they also dont have any safety systems built in to save your engine when something goes wrong...
I've personally witnessed a $30,000 motor be saved by the Holley system...with a stock pcm... it would have become 8 ashtrays and a cool living room table for somebody

One thing that bothers me with the setups is, that if you have a Vacuum leak, or a exhaust leak or bad/contaminated sensor, it will skew your engine tune VERY badly. What it thinks is right is very wrong..
its the same with any ECU...doesnt matter of its stock or aftermarket
the key is to know how your system works, and pay attention to it so you know when something is wrong...thats the whole reason there are warning lights....people disable SES showing up all the time, but yet you dont make a big deal out of that....
well... set up your other EFI systems to do the same... turn on a light when theres a problem...

the holley EFI stuff will time out and error when the sensor is bad, and it will disable correcting...just like the stock pcm will if certain conditions are met or are not met

the good thing is...when you get your initial tune close, and you reset the learning to a lesser value, when it does go bad, it conly only learn that amount... the stock pcm can be 25% LTFT, plus more with STFT.....
I'll take my chances with the 5% I have mine set to learn(or LTFT)

the stock pcm is not better....
you need to actually learn how to tune to understand that
and I say this because I've had to fix a couple of your mail order tunes...

if you arent willing to learn how to tune on a Holley System, then dont put any input in a thread about it

Originally Posted by LSXHawk
Has anyone used there dominator efi kit yet? Im going to be using it on a car that Im helping a guy build and holley says they can give me a base tune and the rest is self learning by the computer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=qwkqjotkDJQ
the system is self correcting for Fueling....it is not self learning...none of the systems out there are 100% "self learning"
the term learn should not be used as it just isnt accurate for any system

it will still require some "Tuning"
you will still need to set desired AFR
Set Desired Spark
you need to set the Knock sensor up(which is not just something you can guess at...but there is a fairly easy way to tune it with the Holley)

there are a lot of things you have to Set up correctly for it to work right...
the base file is a good start, and its close enough to turn the key and start driving down the road safely...but it will have some issues that you need to correct or "Tune"...just like any car

depending on your application... you also have a huge arsenal of other modules you can use within the Holley system
Boost Control
Nitrous
Transmission Control
Traction Control
DBW throttle
Water Meth Control

do a search on here...
you will find lots of info on the Holley...much of which I have posted about.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

To add to what you say, The Stock computer can be changed to only allow a certain percentage as well for long term and short term settings. Putting those values to 5% is possible.

As per the answer you posted for the ability for wide open throttle correction, That is only valid for certain pcm types. From e38, e67, e78 all have correction at wide open throttle as well from the factory turned on.. You can turn this on in the older ls1 based pcms as well..

On the remark of having to fix my tune, We have all been around long enough "most of all the tuners on this board" to have fixed each others tunes... I have done the same for some of yours..
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM
8 Second Club

I cannot speak for the very very newest of GM Vehicles....
But none that I am aware of, can do Wideband WOT Fuel Correction
(please feel free to point out which vehicles can if they exist...I havent done the full research)
and winging it with a stock narrowband...is not something you can do with repeatable accuracy

the pcm's mentioned do Carry over Positive LTFT's into PE....but that is not correction at WOT... its just a guess based on seeing a lean condition before going into PE.. the PCM has no idea if its guess is correct or not

its also the primary reason why they rely on a MAF....it is much more stable from day to day as it is looking at the Air charge and not just looking at a position on a fuel map
GM's air temperature corrections Suck donkey *****

atleast with the Holley I can actually set the Air temp corrections and they do actually work correctly

some ford stuff has been using a wideband for quite some time now....but thats a whole different story...and I'm pretty sure this is a GM related thread.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
8 Second Club

and again....
Just because somebody has pushed the stock PCM to 1200 HP... doesnt mean that it does it well
the Holley handles a 1200 HP(and then some) setup very well and has ways to set safety's as well to protect your investment from becoming a paperweight.

I have yet to see a stock PCM shut down when a fuel pump fails or an oil pump fails.....or a boost control valve fails...
I can make my Holley Shut the car down based on Just about any parameter I choose
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

To each his own I guess. No big deal. End of the day as long as the owner of the vehicle is happy with his choices then that is the only thing that is correct..

From 2009 up when gm starting using the fpdm fuel pump driver modules the computer does have and will put the engine in reduced engine power mode when there is an issue. Same with oil pump, and on the 2009 ctsv and all gm related supercharged applications from 2006 up e67 controller, if there is a boost control valve issue it will go into reduced engine power mode.. So I guess it all just boils down to what year ecm we are talking about. Also, I guess we shouldn't bring up the Roadrunner ecm, that can do wideband o2 fuel correction, spark correction or anything the end user wants, but that is not stock form so it don't count.. The aftermarket ecm manufacture companies are definitely getting a lot better in the last few years. I will admit that. IF I had to use an aftermarket, the holley is a wise choice.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 PM
8 Second Club

yeah.. I count roadrunner as an aftermarket ECU... not a stock one

a reasonable choice for a lot of people...but still not as good as going with the Holley

Quick Reply: Holley efi