Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a tech 2 scanner

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for a tech 2 scanner

looking to get a tech 2 scanner. have come upon a few sites selling clone or fake versions of them. is it worth getting a clone? will the clone work as good as a oem one. has anyone bought a clone one does it do all the same thing an oe can. if any one knows a good place to buy one. thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Do you have to have the tech2? What is the reason for it? Aftermarket scan tools can be a lot better. Also, cable wise if you are just wanting to flash with SPS or something, it is much faster to just use a cable like the Mongoose, or upgrade to the MDI box instead and use the laptop based oem scan tool.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know how to use the tech 2 and my cheepie scanner wont do misfire graph and all the specail functions of a tech 2. i own all gms. is there a aft scanner that can do everything a tech 2 can.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

In EFIlive there are misfire graphs, or data you can log, as well as bidirectional controls. Relearns, vats, ect.. For your car it does as much as the tech 2 and more for the ECM. It just doesn't do other modules like the dash or body control module..

go to the website, and you can download the scan tool for free to look at and check it out. www.efilive.com then go to the downloads tab. You can look at the scan logs in the folder to see how it all works. v7.5 is the version you need to download. The nicer thing about this compared to a tech 2 is you can see a lot more information at once as you get to use the laptop screen. Everything is fully customizable as well which makes It nice because you can target only what you want to see.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So i must ask....
When is someone going to make an aftermarket that does BCM???
The only thing i use my tech 2 for is flushing the abs.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

bcm does not do ABS, that would be the ABS module.

There are several modules on the Buss depending on the vehicle.

If you want to know your modules and the device id they have for the peticular car, you can see this in EFIlive on the obd2 tab in the scan tool then click on the modules button. It will give you the list, it will also show it in the console tab when you first connect and validate the active pids.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

im looking to scan sir body module and abs too
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spiro to answer you original question... I remember a thread on here about a year back discussing the "china" or clone tech 2. If i remember correctly the consensus at the end of the thread was the clone tech 2 looked, felt and acted like the one supplied to GM dealers. it was even discussion that they may indeed be the exact same things. If im remembering right there is no support for the clone tech 2. But then again if your not a shop or dealer i guess support wouldn't be that important.

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 03-09-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: wording
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on what exactly you need it for, there are other options. Vetronix writes the software for the Tech2, and their MasterTech scanner is a nice alternative. It has most of the functions of the Tech2, but not all. It does give you the ability to support other lines, not just GM, which is a big plus.

At the end of the day, you have to determine what you need it for and why. I have the Tech2, MDI, Ford IDS, Mopar DRB3, Vetronix MasterTech, Snapon scanner, Baum for Euros, etc. You don't want to know what it costs to be this equipped.

As for clones, I would never recommend buying a clone. For the price difference, I'm buying a genuine tool.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AutoEnginuity with GM Enhanced can do scan/log/bidir on all modules on any GM vehicle... at about $450 vs $2500 (clone) or $5000 (real) TechII.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone buy a china clone one. from where?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Banned

I've never bought a clone. I'd never recommend buying a clone. I've heard horror stories about Tech2 clones. To me it's not worth the money.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joecar
AutoEnginuity with GM Enhanced can do scan/log/bidir on all modules on any GM vehicle... at about $450 vs $2500 (clone) or $5000 (real) TechII.
I've checked out the AutoEnginuity and it looks like a real nice tool. I've considered buying it for foreign cars. I'd like to put my hands on one and do some testing with it. I would have to believe there are some functions that it's missing compared to a Tech2. Even the Vetronix MasterTech, which is the same software, is missing some functions.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AE is missing various functions... but for most GM cars/trucks it supports bidirectional mode on at least the ECM, TCM, ABS... the other modules may be supported but it depends... if you find they are not, AE customer support seem receptive.

Quick Reply: looking for a tech 2 scanner