Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble shooting codes p0174/p0171 and others

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question trouble shooting codes p0174/p0171 and others

Hey guys I've read some threads about the 74 and 71 and thought I did have some vac leak my pcv up front was trashed but never really gave me prob till about 5 or so days ago started my car and is was running supper rough ,no codes so I went on and drove to galveston and back about 5 miles from my place ses light came on and I got those codes. So did some research and figured what the hell bought all the parts I needed to replace the pcv system , new intake gaskets , and the maf cleaner . I went on and replaced the valve cover gaskets and looked at the intake ports seems like 5 and 8 had some misfires (rear ones pass and driver) . and then I found some object in the passenger side rocker arms don't know if it fell out when I pulled the intake off or what. I failed to mention on the way back home from getting all these parts my light shut off but still proceeded any way hell I already bought everything .

Either way I torqued the rockers a lil some were lose , I put everything back together , drove about 20 miles or so and the light came back on check pulled the codes here's what I got

p0174 p0171 p0327 p0300 p0133 p0463 and the random misfire code also

about 5 mins before writing this I sprayed every where to see if there's a leak and nothing , reason I'm writing this . I went on and disconnected the battery see if they pop up again , i'm going to test out the maf and see if that's the culprit. also how do I test the air temp one?

I would really appreciate any input I tried looking up most of the codes but didn't find these all tied together like this .
Attached Thumbnails trouble shooting codes p0174/p0171 and others-21.jpg   trouble shooting codes p0174/p0171 and others-20.jpg  

Last edited by crashtech; 03-11-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Default same issue

Sorry to hear about your problem. The real B*tch is that p0300 code. Ive been wrestling with it to the point where I feel like taking a slug hammer to the engine (I couldn't do it). Ive changed the PCV valve, cleaned the injectors, new spark plugs, wires, heat boots, fuel filter, Ive checked power at the fuse distribution to the coils and injectors, OHM checked every wire to the injectors and coils. Only thing I have left is maybe faulty injectors? Bad coils? Or PCM. Its frustrating man...I have working truck coils comming this weekend and im going to try new intake gaskets. Also have a buddy next weekend comming down that works for GM center and we are going to scan the car with a REAL scanner, not one to tell me that I ahve a random misfire =\. Hope you can find your issue that I have maybe overlooked.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

if you would be keep me posted I may have the same damn problem
Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Default Fixed my Issue!

So after replacing all my crap listed above. Apparently my Oil Catch Can was full of water after the car was sitting in storage, in Michigan while I was stationed there. I drained out all the water and oil, cleaned the Can and reinstalled it. The car runs like a champ now. Something so stupid has caused me headaches for the past month or so..I don't think this will help you though. Hope you figure out your issue.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

ok here's the gist of things I did the mod for the pcv replaced the intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets car was running great about 30 miles later same issue , shes still sucking up a bunch of oil . So could my cyl head gaskets be bad or just a common issue with ls1 ? I also replaced my map sensor and fuel filter seemed to help a lil ,idle isn't as rough , but still having issues , while I was doing the filter I notice both sides of the y pipe where the band clamps are I have major leaks could this be the culprit? I still haven't gotten around at testing the maf can't find my multi meter . As of right now i'm confused as f...

Quick Reply: trouble shooting codes p0174/p0171 and others