Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuners - 5.3 timing table vs LS1 timing table

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP tuners - 5.3 timing table vs LS1 timing table

Hey all. Just started playing with HP tuners on my brother's 5.3 swapped 91 firebird. It's a basic stock 5.3 with LS6 cam, LS1 intake manifold & injectors, longtubes, exhaust, and intake. It's also a T56 car. Recently while looking through the current tune, it seems like the truck timing table is in there and what looks like around 17-19 degrees timing under WOT. I compared it to a timing table from an LS1 tune and the LS1 is running between 25-26 degrees in the same area. I'm wondering if I can copy the entire stock LS1 table and paste it to the 5.3 table to improve driving throttle response and total timing, or of this will cause any issues?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone can feel free to correct me, but in my experience:

The trucks use several "adders" to get a final spark value (at least that's how my 99 was).

So if you add a bunch to the base timing table it might try to add more on top and result in KR.

If you do want to use the other table, make sure you go through all the other areas of spark control and change the ones which will add more during normal driving conditions or WOT.

The type of fuel used will also dictate what you can add. I wanted to keep using 87 octane.

That being said, on mine I did copy a more aggressive timing table from my car into it and the low-mid range had a noticeable difference in feel but I had to dial it back a little because I was getting some KR under heavy load. If I were to tow, I might even need to flash it back to prevent problems.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert, but it may be better to slowly raise the timing a bit at time and make sure there is no knocking instead of adding a bunch of timing and hoping it works.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Anyone can feel free to correct me, but in my experience:

The trucks use several "adders" to get a final spark value (at least that's how my 99 was).

So if you add a bunch to the base timing table it might try to add more on top and result in KR.

If you do want to use the other table, make sure you go through all the other areas of spark control and change the ones which will add more during normal driving conditions or WOT.

The type of fuel used will also dictate what you can add. I wanted to keep using 87 octane.

That being said, on mine I did copy a more aggressive timing table from my car into it and the low-mid range had a noticeable difference in feel but I had to dial it back a little because I was getting some KR under heavy load. If I were to tow, I might even need to flash it back to prevent problems.
Thanks for the reply. I went through all the other timing adder tables and honestly it seems like they only really add or subtract timing under extreme low/high coolant temps or extremely high IAT temps. Other than that, I could not find any tables that added timing to the main table values. Reason I am curious about this is because the car has the LS6 cam and it honestly just seems like it pulls forever up to 6K RPM....like there is no timing.

We got the PCM already setup with a base tune for the LS1 MAF we are using from Jon over at PSI harness's. Cruising AFR is right at 14.7 which is whats commanded, so the MAF and VE tables are spot on. I noticed that most everything else looks like the truck tune still, and would like this motor to feel like a 340-350 HP motor rather than a 300 HP motor lol. As it was, the fuel cut was still set to 5600 RPM, and just changing that to 6200 made a big difference, but timing still feels sluggish, and AFR at WOT was down at 11.4. I already modified the PE tables and am now looking to get some more timing in.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trucks do a lot of crappy things like holding off PE
mode and laying down over-sensitive burst knock
retard. Expecting PE to be late probably accounts
for the low timing. If the motor is roughly equal in
CR (~10:1) to the F-body and fueled the same then
a roughly equal timing ought to be tolerable - but
this wants checking and the timing changed last.
Small-motor trucks are about towing fuel economy
so there are likely a lot of small differences there.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Trucks do a lot of crappy things like holding off PE
mode and laying down over-sensitive burst knock
retard. Expecting PE to be late probably accounts
for the low timing. If the motor is roughly equal in
CR (~10:1) to the F-body and fueled the same then
a roughly equal timing ought to be tolerable - but
this wants checking and the timing changed last.
Small-motor trucks are about towing fuel economy
so there are likely a lot of small differences there.
The motor is stock compression which I believe is 9.5:1. And I did notice the really low PE ramp in rate which was something like .2 lol. I changed that to 1.0 which was LS1 specs. When we were doing WOT runs in the car and logging the wideband, I was going crazy wondering why the AFR would stay in the 14's for a second or two after you hit the gas...that was why. Honestly thought the wideband was no good at first! I may try to plug in a separate file with the LS1 timing table in place and if I get any KR, I'll go back through it and make adjustments.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I forgot about the burst knock. I zeroed that out of mine completely.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Just wanted to make sure the ducks were in a row before you copied it over and found the truck was running more than you wanted.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dropped a 5.3 into my 1998 camaro and used the old tune and i havent ran into any issues yet... the last tune on the car with ls1, 243 heads, and everything else in my sig made 401 hp. it drives good on the ls1 timing tables and mine are jacked up to 29 degrees total. ive been tweaking the tune here and there really need to get a wideband in it though.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With the LS6 cam in a light car it should like 26-28 Degrees WOT, 33-36 cruising, and something like 18-20 at idle. I have found that the weight of the vehicle has some influence on timing due to the load placed on the engine. This should be somewhat accounted for by the timing table because it uses grams/cyl of airflow to calculate timing, but its just something I've observed. Trucks do use a lot of adders. I would eliminate the AFR spark correction table (set all values to 0) and work with the High Octane table to get timing dialed in. On some cars, I have found the AFR spark correction to help if there was a fuzz of tip in knock to wide open throttle, just depends on the setup.

Like said above, zero out the burst knock tables and then from there it's all about finding what it likes without knocking.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sweet-94z28
With the LS6 cam in a light car it should like 26-28 Degrees WOT, 33-36 cruising, and something like 18-20 at idle. I have found that the weight of the vehicle has some influence on timing due to the load placed on the engine. This should be somewhat accounted for by the timing table because it uses grams/cyl of airflow to calculate timing, but its just something I've observed. Trucks do use a lot of adders. I would eliminate the AFR spark correction table (set all values to 0) and work with the High Octane table to get timing dialed in. On some cars, I have found the AFR spark correction to help if there was a fuzz of tip in knock to wide open throttle, just depends on the setup.

Like said above, zero out the burst knock tables and then from there it's all about finding what it likes without knocking.
Sweet man, thanks a lot for the pointers! I believe the LS1 timing table had a max of 26* timing under WOT so it should make a good baseline to use in place of the truck table. I didn't look too much at cruise timing, but for a mild cam like the LS6, stock specs should be pretty close. Can't wait till this damn snow clears up here so we can get it out again and start making changes. For now I've been using my desktop to play with the tune a bit, and it's driving me nuts.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

I know i'm bringing this back from the dead, but i'm doing it on purpose for someone who might do the same thing I did.

My background as a tuner:
I've never tuned anything except for my own car last year and I didn't do a lot to it. I mostly messed with the 4l80e shift points, limiter, and a few other things. Basically i'm just winging it with my Hptuners Pro.

I read this thread last year after doing a 2001 5.3 ls swap in my 1997 Camaro. I copied the ls1 timing table to my 2001 5.3 computer as it sounded like a good idea. I've been looking over my logs from last year and I ended up with a max timing of 34 degrees at .60 g/cyl between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm. I was curious how I got there as the LS1 timing table should be 25-27 degrees of timing in that area.

Where do these 7 extra degrees come from you ask? The truck computer uses a AFR correction adder table that adds timing. Mine was adding 7 degrees of timing.

I'm just trying to spread what I learned. Hopefully this helps someone. I didn't have a wideband hooked up so I never messed with fueling and maybe that saved my engine (11.2 AFR commanded stock). All of my logs show no knock, but that doesn't mean it likes 34 degrees of timing. I'm going to zero out the AFR adder table and see how the car acts with the true stock LS1 timing table and go from there.

John

Last edited by johnminer; 03-16-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by johnminer
I know i'm bringing this back from the dead, but i'm doing it on purpose for someone who might do the same thing I did.

My background as a tuner:
I've never tuned anything except for my own car last year and I didn't do a lot to it. I mostly messed with the 4l80e shift points, limiter, and a few other things. Basically i'm just winging it with my Hptuners Pro.

I read this thread last year after doing a 2001 5.3 ls swap in my 1997 Camaro. I copied the ls1 timing table to my 2001 5.3 computer as it sounded like a good idea. I've been looking over my logs from last year and I ended up with a max timing of 34 degrees at .60 g/cyl between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm. I was curious how I got there as the LS1 timing table should be 25-27 degrees of timing in that area.

Where do these 7 extra degrees come from you ask? The truck computer uses a AFR correction adder table that adds timing. Mine was adding 7 degrees of timing.

I'm just trying to spread what I learned. Hopefully this helps someone. I didn't have a wideband hooked up so I never messed with fueling and maybe that saved my engine (11.2 AFR commanded stock). All of my logs show no knock, but that doesn't mean it likes 34 degrees of timing. I'm going to zero out the AFR adder table and see how the car acts with the true stock LS1 timing table and go from there.

John
Where did you find this table? I can't seem to find it.

Nevermind I found it, I wasn't on the advanced view.

Last edited by jonarotz; 03-25-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say I dont think its a good idea nor is much time saved by simply pasting a timing table from a different car. Logging is the key here. Log timing and know along with afr or lambda, error also. Make some pulls and see where your are at. Add a little as you go. The factory tunes were not only meant for the engine but the type of vehicle it was in.

Quick Reply: HP tuners - 5.3 timing table vs LS1 timing table