Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard to tune?

ok so i have a LQ4 6.0L with a ls1 intake, ls1 heads which changed the compression to 10 to 1, and a GM hot cam in it, i am also wanting to switch it to speed density over MAF, i have been getting told by some tuners it can take upwards of 4 hours or more to tune it, its in a tube buggy rock crawler, i was also thinking about for what they are going to charge me to get HP tuners or EFI live and get it really close and get it dyno tuned to fine tune. so my question is should it be that hard to tune or is everyone over thinking it? thanks
Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Teching In

any ideas?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

4 hours is unreasonable? If the end result is right I wouldn't care if it took a week. Lol
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by outkast6991
4 hours is unreasonable? If the end result is right I wouldn't care if it took a week. Lol
when your paying 100 bucks an hour i would sure hope it wouldnt take a week. i was just wanting to see if it would be better to tune it my self or take it somewhere. if i am going to pay out the noise to tune it i would atleast get it dyno tuned not just driving around with him with a laptop.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would get a good begining tuning book like Dan Maslic's Master EFI Tuner and read it. Then decide if you want to try it yourself. Personally I think you're over rating a dyno tune. Even after a dyno tune need to do some drivability tuning, if you plan on doing steet driving
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pacer Racer
I would get a good begining tuning book like Dan Maslic's Master EFI Tuner and read it. Then decide if you want to try it yourself. Personally I think you're over rating a dyno tune. Even after a dyno tune need to do some drivability tuning, if you plan on doing steet driving
could be, but atleast i feel like im helping pay for the dyno versus someone just sitting there doing trial and error for a few hours at my expense.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

A proper street tune will be better in the end. If you are inclined and have the patience I would do it yourself but you will spend more than $400 doing it. Think of it this way. Nobody will spend the time making it perfect like you will. Nobody will drive the car like you or experience all the same situations as you will over time either
Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

You will be a lot happier with the street tune . The dyno tune will be great for WOT but the street tune will make your car drive great all the time.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got years and years of experience and I'm still learning stuff on a weekly basis. A good dyno/street tune will lilely be cheaper than you buying HPtuners and learning it yourself because if the tuner is worth his salt he likely also has years and years of experience.

Hptuners is definitely not a bad tool to have in your tool box. If you can't find a competent tuner locally we sell HPtuners and also offer remote tuning.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outkast6991
A proper street tune will be better in the end. If you are inclined and have the patience I would do it yourself but you will spend more than $400 doing it. Think of it this way. Nobody will spend the time making it perfect like you will. Nobody will drive the car like you or experience all the same situations as you will over time either
quote worthy
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll need a good wide band too. You can probably find a decent base tune in the repository for that simple of a setup too
Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the responses. i guess the reason i was thinking a dyno tune would be better is a friend of mind did a mail order tune, then had it dyno tuned and gained quite a bit from it, and it seems locally the only person that does do street tuning has only been doing it a few years and is kinda stuck in his ways of which cam to run etc ( i think because thats all he has files for) etc.

Quick Reply: how hard to tune?