PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting H/C 6.0 on stock LS1 tune - OK or not ok??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting H/C 6.0 on stock LS1 tune - OK or not ok??

Like the title says, just curious on this topic. My brother had a 5.3 in his car with an LS6 cam and LS1 intake setup along with a relatively stock tune from an LS1 F-body. He has recently built a 6.0 truck motor with a torquemax cam and PRC LS6 heads. I will be tuning the setup with HP tuners, but I am just curious if for the initial startup, we can slap the LS1 intake, injectors, etc on it and run it on the stock tune just to be sure the motor is sound and everything is working properly? The stock tune would only be used while the motor was at idle, and possibly a quick ride around the block at low RPM. I'm assuming it should be fine as long as the stock injectors are on it, but just want to be sure.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the same boat, if the pcm is 05 or newer, I would go to the tune repository and find an LS2 tune from a GTO or something, that would be closer probably. If you are 02 or older, and want to use the ls1 tune, I would atleast increase the displacement, and you will have to keep an eye on knock retard.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
I am in the same boat, if the pcm is 05 or newer, I would go to the tune repository and find an LS2 tune from a GTO or something, that would be closer probably. If you are 02 or older, and want to use the ls1 tune, I would atleast increase the displacement, and you will have to keep an eye on knock retard.
PCM is an 01 or 02 I believe, but I would think an LS2 tune would be worse with having the electronic throttle body...and I thought LS2's were not the older style 24x reluctor wheel, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
PCM is an 01 or 02 I believe, but I would think an LS2 tune would be worse with having the electronic throttle body...and I thought LS2's were not the older style 24x reluctor wheel, but I could be wrong.
That is exactly why I worded it the way I did, because you didn't say what year vehicle you were working with.

Obviously you are going to have to use an operating system and tune that is compatible with your PCM, since you are 01 or 02, LS1 is probably a good place to start.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
That is exactly why I worded it the way I did, because you didn't say what year vehicle you were working with.

Obviously you are going to have to use an operating system and tune that is compatible with your PCM, since you are 01 or 02, LS1 is probably a good place to start.
It's a bit of a frankencar. 91 trans am with a 01-02 PCM and a 2006 LQ4 6.0 engine.

But thanks for the info! I'll most likely start with the LS1 tune and possibly compare the VE tables and timing to a GTO tune just to see the differences. I'm still learning with HPT, but I'm pretty confident that I can get it running pretty good once I get it scaled for the new injectors and get the MAF values correct.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would have frost or martin from tick do a mail order tune before starting
Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackls1ta00
i would have frost or martin from tick do a mail order tune before starting
I hate mail order tunes personally, and I own HP tuners. Just want to fire the car up quickly since the engine is almost done, and make sure it runs good mechanically...then I'm going to work on the tune after that.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Teching In

No, I wouldnt risk it. Rough in a tune so it will idle (rough in the VE change and have a WBO2 watching fuel) then get it tuned.

It *might* start, but especially on a stock tune you will be way lean. Be better off getting it put together how it will end up, rough a tune in, and starting it up. If you dont know what to expect with those mods, you might be ok looking at a tune from the repository for 1 startup BUT I put 0 faith in any tune thrown up on the internet.

Quick Reply: Starting H/C 6.0 on stock LS1 tune - OK or not ok??