Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Edit Vs. HP Tuner - My Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thumbs up LS1 Edit Vs. HP Tuner - My Review

I have been using LS1 Edit for over a year now and I have come accustomed to the "feel" of it. Once I got the basics down, it seems like a good program. I never had problems with it except no real users manual or explanation of what each table does.

So up to about 1.5 months ago, I was "happy" with LS1 Edit.

Now, HP Tuner has come out with a LS1 Editor/Programmer/Scan Tool that's all in one that is only locked to model year, not a VIN locked like LS1 Edit.

The price of HP Tuner is VERY attractive for what you get. Why spend $550 for 1 car when you can spend $499 to do many of the same year car you own. Great product to have if your buddy has the same year F-Body, saves a lot of $$$$. Plus you get a scanner built in.

There was a few guys in our local car club (same model years) that was going to get LS1 Edit and I told them to hold on until I check out HP Tuner. After doing the research, making phone calls, and talking with a few local guys, I decided to order it.

After I got it all loaded up, I read the help file. A lot better than the one LS1 Edit gives you, but it would be nice to have some more explaination of what the main tables do and why you would use them.

I downloaded a file and checked it out in the editor, for the most part, it is real close to LS1 Edit, but laid out a tad better, a little more "user" friendly you could say. It only took 3 minutes to download the stock file! HP TUNER

LS1 Edit takes about 18 mintues to download your stock file.

HP Tuner has all the tables LS1 Edit has and more, about 10% more tables.

I then tried the scanner, way cool, missing a few things but still VERY NICE, good job.

I made a few simple changes to a file and uploaded it, it took about 30 seconds!

LS1 Edit takes about 2 minutes to upload a file.

One of the most cool things about using HP Tuner is that you can download a stock file, make some changes, reload it back to the car, and then use the scan tool without swapping any cables, you only use one, I love it!

Keith, I would have to say you have a great product and your gonna make a lot of people happy.

I do have one question for you, when you have the same stock file in LS1 Edit and HP Tuner, how come in some of the tables, the numbers/values are not the same. ie Main VE table.

I do have a few suggestions/fixes for you:

Editor -

I would like to see where you can compare a stock file to the one you are working on. That way, just like in LS1 Edit, if you want to copy a stock table from your stock file into your current file, you can. Also have it where you can see the difference between the 2 files.

Scanner -

The scanner is just about perfect in my eyes, but 2 things I would like to see added: MAF Frequency & IAC Position

Help File -

You have a great start with it and I hope you keep adding to it. I would like to see more explanation of what certain tables do, why you want to tweak them and maybe give examples. ie (you have a cam and a M6, you tweak these tables this way),(you have a cam and auto, you set the idle up this way and raise the shift points like this)

CD's/Cable -

Not real important, but a nice touch if you added on the CD and cable what year/cars it is going to be used for.

One thing I don't recommend, this is not a fool proof tuning package for the beginner. For me, since I have LS1 Edit experience, using HP Tuner was a no brainer. After 10-20 minutes of poking around, I was pretty much up to speed.

So far I am REAL HAPPY with my HP Tuner tuning software. If the above additions could be added, this WILL BE the ultimate LS1 Tuning program to use, maybe even for the beginner!

Thanks again for a great product at a great value,

Bill Wright
Old 04-26-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear there is some good competition for LS1Edit.

Too bad there is nothing for the 98's right now. I was ready to buy a scanner and in a couple of months was looking at buying LS1edit. I am holding out to see if anything comes from HP tuners for the 98's.I think their forum said something about May.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bill, thanks for the kind words!

Our Primary and Secondary V8 VE tables are scaled against the cylinder volume and represented in a %. Regarding differences in other values between our product and others, I can't comment on other products scaling factors but we believe our factors to be accurate. It is possible that we have made a mistake but we have gone over our factors time and time again and they seem to be dead on. I would trust our #'s.

With the editor, we have the compare file feature on the to-do list. It will get implemented, just not sure when.

In the scan tool, right click the table and click insert. You should be able to find the MAF Freq and IAC values in the Engine section. We are working to re-organize the PID list though as we believe it is becoming overwhelming as it grows.

Our 98 product will be released very soon. I don't have a set date, but it won't be too much longer.

Take care.

- Keith
Old 04-26-2004, 07:32 PM
FormerVendor

I did notice with edit when i set my fan to 175 and 180, EFILive has a misc info tab that displays what their on temps are and even though i programed them for one temp they come on at another (-2 degrees). This leads me to beleive that edit is skewing some of the values or they are off by a bit or two. This may also be true for the VE tables.