Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n/a IAT Temp question???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default n/a IAT Temp question???

head, cam only car. Noticed while data logging that the IAT goes into the red on my hp tuners. after 10 min of stop and go "ish" traffic my IAT is 115*f. Outside temp is 87*f. coolant temps were 207*f. Is my tune off? do i need a CAI? or is this totally normal?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
head, cam only car. Noticed while data logging that the IAT goes into the red on my hp tuners. after 10 min of stop and go "ish" traffic my IAT is 115*f. Outside temp is 87*f. coolant temps were 207*f. Is my tune off? do i need a CAI? or is this totally normal?
Under hood heat. Normal.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "going into the red" part is just a setting in your HPT config file gauges...you can change it. Just like Ed said, it's normal under-hood heat....but kinda grinds on ya and makes ya want to build a decent cold air box (if possible), doesn't it.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO - it's heat soak around the sensor. I don't think we get accurate IAT's when we're in stop and go traffic. I also believe it can contribute to idle/cruise quality issues. I've relocated the IAT on several cars to just in front of the air box and away from anything that tends to retain heat. As a result, those cars get a true IAT reading before the charge temp blending model figures out the change in temp through the manifold & heads, which helped clean up some issues with fueling and idle quality.

A test you can do - watch a near stock car at idle for a bit of time. As the under hood temps rise, so do the fuel trims. If the PCM is calculating air density at higher IAT's (meaning less dense air / less O2), then it'll calculate less fuel required for combustion. Problem is, the IAT is actually cooler and more dense that the PCM realizes (because of the false, heat-soaked measurements), which causes a leaner burn that is noticed by the O2 sensors. Hence, the positive fuel trims.

Quick Reply: n/a IAT Temp question???