Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calibrating AFR

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default calibrating AFR

Does anyone know how to make a custom PID so that you can log what your actual AFR is on your gauge (for me AEM) versus what it actually shows in hp tuners?

For those of you who havent noticed, the two are actually off and mine doesn't seem to be linear so I can't use just the offset method it seems.

This basically makes this a two part question

1st being how to log to get the info I need
2nd being, how can I use the list function to configure the wideband instead of the linear function?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Lots of views and no answers tells me one of two things

1) There are a lot of you running around with uncalibrated widebands and the information that you are using to tune your MAF's with is wrong

2) This topic was covered 10000000 times and as a result everyone is ignoring this- since I can't find this topic (and it could totally be my fault/the fact that it is tough to search for words with such few letters in them) someone please point me to the correct threads...

If #2 isn't the case, then maybe this should be a sticky whenever the answer is figured out...since it's kinda important?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

That's the million dollar question. I bought HP Tuner and have been trying to learn how to use it, but only a very few people are willing to help. Everyone will tell you to buy Greg's $200 DVD. I'm still looking for help on how to tune with this software. HP's own website/forum is of no help, as well, because you will get the same answer over and over about buying the DVD.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

ya, people forget they were once green and didnt have the help either. What's the point in forums if that's the answer you get? Because with that logic, every book store carries books on how to modify an engine and excrete maximum performance...why have forums at all? 99% of info here can be found in a book somewhere?

I'm with ya though, hp tuners forum is not the most helpful. It also doesnt help trying to search AFR calibration, because most forums drop the AFR and only search calibration and you get everything you don't want eat up your search.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the offset method on mine and it is correct enough (within a tenth) at 14.7 and 13.0 that it doesn't really matter to me. How far is yours off at the desired ratios?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understand what you're saying, then you may be experiencing a ground offset issue. If the difference is significant (greater than 0.1 volts), then I'd try checking the wiring and various connections to ensure a good, clean link is made between all wires, grounds, etc.

If it's less than that, I wouldn't sweat it. After all, a wideband is a tool just like a dyno. It's not 100% accurate all of the time and shouldn't be treated like it is. Additionally, every tune shouldn't be set to the ragged edge. Account for variance, changes in the environment, and leave a buffer. That extra 5hp isn't worth the cost of replacing the engine in our cars IMO.

Quick Reply: calibrating AFR