Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help please with timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please with timing

when the new crankshaft was put in, the reluctor (sp) was put in wrong, I believe (a few degrees off) , therefore giving the computer a false reading for the timing. my question is - is there anything I can do to change the timing in 3-5 degree without having to have it programmed ie a resistor in the iat or???? thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Oui.

You can run a resistor in the IAT to pull a fixed amount of timing, but really what needs to be done is getting your reluctor fixed.

Have you had a crank relearn done on the car since the crank came out of the car??

Typically when you change the crank and take the reluctor wheel off and such, it is a good idea to get a crank relearn done to get the computer dialed into your specific reluctor wheel..

Also, how did you determine that the timing in your vehicle was off??
Old 05-01-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To fix the reluctor you would need to pull the crank back out. what is a crank relearn?the reason I feel the timing is off is because the power seems to be quite a bit off of what it should be making- so really just a "gut" feeling.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

The crank relearn allows the PCM to correct for the crank offset. Not all cranks are created equal. Doing a crank relearn allows the PCM to compensate for the 'phase' offset of the reluctor teeth.

Take your car to a dealership and ask for a crank relearn to be done. This *should* correct your timing issues within reason.
Typically, if there are serious enough issues with your reluctor wheel to cause a loss of power, then it would typically manifest itself in misses or a noticable breaking up of the engine.

What kind of power loss are you seeing?