Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the ECM???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the ECM???

I have been having problems with my car throwing p0410 codes for about 3 months. After replacing just about everything remotely related to that code, I think I found it today. The blue connector on the ecm was leaking water. The pins were so corroded that some of them broke off. So now I am trying to get the broke pins out of the blue connector.

What's my next step. I don't think you can replace the connectors on the computer. I openned the computer and it doesn't look like it was meant to be serviceable.

So, where is the cheapest place to buy a 98 Firebird WS6 convertible ECM from? When I get it, would it have to be flashed by the dealer, or does it come programmed for my vin and car? If it needs to be programmed by the dealer, how much would it cost. Anyone go through this?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found PCM's for between $75 and $140, depends on which boneyard you go to. Dealer may charge upwards of $100 to reflash, depends on dealer and hwo you know.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

To have the dealer flash a PCM to your car it runs around $80 bucks.......usually. I have heard up to $150 though. Make sure they do a crank relearn once they reflash your PCM. This seems to be omitted all the time, and they are suppose to do it with new PCM's and replacement PCM's.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

I decided to open the computer up and solder leads onto the pins that broke off. I drilled a hole in the case and ran the 4 wires out and siliconed the holes where I brought the wires out. I am going to jumper over the connector.

My car has the stock 98 flash in it. Would it be worth getting it flashed with the latest version?

Since I had the computer out, do I need to do a crank relearn? If so, how do you do it?

The LS1 doesn't have an Optispark correct? How does it sense crank position?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't have it reflashed. If your car is running fine, then I would leave it as is.

No, you don't need to do a crank relearn. A crank relearn just stores information in the PCM that is taylored to your crank reluctor wheel. It allows the PCM to more accuratly dial in the timing and compensate for machine idiosynchrasies of the wheel. You only need to do a crank relearn if the PCM is brand new (then it doesn' have this information and your car runs like poop), or if you change the crank.

LS1's do not have an opti-spark. Ignition timing is controlled by a corrolation between the crank and cam sensor. The crank sensor monitors a geared wheel on the back of the crank called the reluctor wheel. The reluctor wheel simply relates the speed / position of the crank to the PCM very accurately. The cam sensor tells the PCM which stroke the piston is on (compression or exhaust). With these two signals the computer calculates the optimum timing point (table reference) and provides spark accordingly.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

The PCM is a smog device and thus has a warranty just as a CAT does.
If you can show this failed due to a GM problem they should replace the PCM for free. If I recall the PCM warranty is either 7 or 8 years.

Originally Posted by PurplePiss
I have been having problems with my car throwing p0410 codes for about 3 months. After replacing just about everything remotely related to that code, I think I found it today. The blue connector on the ecm was leaking water. The pins were so corroded that some of them broke off. So now I am trying to get the broke pins out of the blue connector.

What's my next step. I don't think you can replace the connectors on the computer. I openned the computer and it doesn't look like it was meant to be serviceable.

So, where is the cheapest place to buy a 98 Firebird WS6 convertible ECM from? When I get it, would it have to be flashed by the dealer, or does it come programmed for my vin and car? If it needs to be programmed by the dealer, how much would it cost. Anyone go through this?