PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Corvette-Are there tuning limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1997 Corvette-Are there tuning limitations?

Like the title says, 1997 C5 Corvette. Twin turbo, you name it done to the motor. Custom billet throttle body. Very built 4L60E. All kinds of custom made parts. 5 year project and will be next summer before the motor starts for the first time. I have noticed that as far as tuning that the early year C5's are different, I don't know how. Are there limitations to tuning? Would a later year computer (ECM?) be compatible with the '97? At this stage any options are do-able. Anyone know for sure about the first year C5's? I fully intend on learning whichever software I eventually purchase. Done every single thing myself so far.
Thanks, RonO

Last edited by Lasershop; 08-27-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would re-pin the harness and run a 99+ PCM if it were mine and your wanting to use a stock pcm. Your setup can be tuned with the current pcm but it wouldnt be fun to tune and more and more shops are getting away from tuning 97-98's. . EFI Live doesnt have any custom OS for a 97 but Im 99% HP Tuners does since they have one for 98's.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say if you plan to push over 15psi of boost it might be in your best interest to update to the newer 99+ pcm, a little it more work but in the long run would at least allow you to run 3 bar custom operating systems, real time tuning, etc.

-Bill
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
I would say if you plan to push over 15psi of boost it might be in your best interest to update to the newer 99+ pcm, a little it more work but in the long run would at least allow you to run 3 bar custom operating systems, real time tuning, etc.

-Bill
Bill,
Not afraid of work.. but what does that mean? Is the harness different? Do you know what modification will be needed? You guys answered my question and I will definetly make the change. I dont want to leave anything on the table. Are there any other electrical parts that will need replaced?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I would re-pin the harness and run a 99+ PCM if it were mine and your wanting to use a stock pcm. Your setup can be tuned with the current pcm but it wouldnt be fun to tune and more and more shops are getting away from tuning 97-98's. . EFI Live doesnt have any custom OS for a 97 but Im 99% HP Tuners does since they have one for 98's.

Is this what I want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Corvette-Engine-computer-12200411-Programmed-to-your-VIN-PCM-ECM-ECU-/181071973707?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a28bb0d4b&vxp=mtr#ht_586wt_1165
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That will work but you can't have it 'programmed to your vin' per se. You will have to use a later model year operating system and depending on what you want to use to tune it you may or may not be able to use 'your vin' in it. If you want that source to program it with a later model stock OS to start with you will have to give them a vin from a later year vette. You don't hear much about the 99-02 PCM swaps for the 97-98 Vettes like you do for the 98 F-bodies. There may be other compatibility issues with the other systems in a vette that are not issues when doing that swap in an F-body also.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
That will work but you can't have it 'programmed to your vin' per se. You will have to use a later model year operating system and depending on what you want to use to tune it you may or may not be able to use 'your vin' in it. If you want that source to program it with a later model stock OS to start with you will have to give them a vin from a later year vette. You don't hear much about the 99-02 PCM swaps for the 97-98 Vettes like you do for the 98 F-bodies. There may be other compatibility issues with the other systems in a vette that are not issues when doing that swap in an F-body also.
Im lost.
Definetly want my VIN. Dont want any DMV/legal/police problems down the road. That unit is basically the first one I saw on Ebay.

I totally not clear where this leaves me. Is that the wrong year? I dont know what the difference is between the years. It will be months before I even get to the tuning part but Im asking the questions and trying to plan it it now.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

I keep pcms in stock, they are easy to come across. To run a 99+ pcm in a 97/98 you have to re-pin both the red and blue connectors on the pcm. You basically move almost every wire from the red to the blue connector and change the pin locations in the process. Its not hard but is time consuming. I can put any VIN you want into the pcm.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can put any VIN you want into the pcm.
So can I but a 97 VIN with a 99-03 OS will prevent being able to use HP Tuners on it. That pretty much limits your tuning options to only EFI Live.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

So can I but a 97 VIN with a 99-03 OS will prevent being able to use HP Tuners on it. That pretty much limits your tuning options to only EFI Live.

I think it can be done with 14 credits
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I keep pcms in stock, they are easy to come across. To run a 99+ pcm in a 97/98 you have to re-pin both the red and blue connectors on the pcm. You basically move almost every wire from the red to the blue connector and change the pin locations in the process. Its not hard but is time consuming. I can put any VIN you want into the pcm.
Please forgive my ignorance. Is that what holds the tune data also? Could you PM me a cost for the unit, the vin and a startup tune. I will get you all the particulars but its a built motor with twin turbos.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Im lost.
Definetly want my VIN. Dont want any DMV/legal/police problems down the road. That unit is basically the first one I saw on Ebay.

I totally not clear where this leaves me. Is that the wrong year? I dont know what the difference is between the years. It will be months before I even get to the tuning part but Im asking the questions and trying to plan it it now.
He never said anything about HP Tuners, just that he wants his VIN correct. I can make his VIN correct and yes by correcting his VIN it most likely lock out HPT. Which isnt a big deal, most reputable tuners/shops have more than one tuning software at their disposal.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM
FormerVendor

Please forgive my ignorance. Is that what holds the tune data also? Could you PM me a cost for the unit, the vin and a startup tune. I will get you all the particulars but its a built motor with twin turbos.
PM Sent
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question: Are 99 and up PCM's all the same? Can anyone point me to a link showing a diagram for the re-pin?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

No, there are a couple versions of PCM's from 99-08. There are 512k drive by wire and cable, 1MB drive by wire for the most part. Then there are several different service numbers for each one also.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question: Are 99 and up PCM's all the same? Can anyone point me to a link showing a diagram for the re-pin?
Here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-corvette.html

Quick Reply: 1997 Corvette-Are there tuning limitations?