Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gear low rpm KR

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gear low rpm KR

I have a 2000 trans am with a lid, ls6 intake, ported TB, ls6 cam/springs, 7.425 pushrods, long tube headers and a catback. It also has stock 3.23 gears and a stock 4L60E with stock converter.

For normal and cruise conditions I'm using the stock spark advance table, stock lock up and shift tables.

When I go uphill The trans shifts into 4th and locks the converter at around 35mph according to the stock tables, but the rpm drops to around 800-1000rpm and I see up to 8* of KR.

I've dropped up to 5* (down to 18*) on the spark advance table in these cells, but I still see 1* or 2* of KR. Actually I've had to drop timing across the whole table in overall, at wot it will only take as much as 26* with 13.2 AFR and at this altitude it only goes up to .52-.56 g/cyl in the cylinder airmass cells at WOT.

I also just changed to all polyurethane mounts, but this didn't affect the KR conditions at all.

My questions:

I was wondering if it's supposed to shift this soon into 4th and drop the RPM that much, it does seem to be a lot of load for the engine for stock settings.

Also, am I having to drop this much timing because of the LS6 cam? I thought it was the LS6 heads (which I don't have) with better flow and higher compression that called for lower spark advance.

Quick Reply: 4th gear low rpm KR