PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Good conversation going on here guys! Keep up the good work.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange_Shuvel
From my research HPTuners has the ability to enable E85 the same as EFILive. 1st pic

Not all OS's have the ability to select a real sensor vs virtual like your pic, just as you said the tuning suites don't show us everything. 2nd pic

It is also my understanding that early flex fuel vehicles only used the sensor 2003-2005 not the virtual calculation. Just what I have seen, definitely open to more input on this.
the early os's had no code for the stupid virtual flex fuel system as it had yet to be developed/implemented

the hp tuners version on my laptop didn't list the flex fuel enable feature (2.24.177) the more up to date version on my desktop at work has it

on the p59 file i opened in tunercat i could actually adjust the min/max hertz range for the flex fuel sensor as well have set the curve

i've been tuning my flex fuel e38 jeep via efilive and the laptop is just completely unnecessary with black box logging and flashing

i really wish hp tuners would come out with a handheld that could flash and tune by itself
Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

That's funny I was using a demo version of HPtuners on my work desktop too. lol

I have only used EFILive for actual vehicle tuning but have been learning how to navigate HPTuners as a lot of members on here use it instead.

Originally Posted by scotte
i've been tuning my flex fuel e38 jeep via efilive and the laptop is just completely unnecessary with black box logging and flashing
I just updated my version of EFILive so now I have the bbx flashing ability, haven't tried it yet but seems like it could be very useful. Have you tried it on any other PCM series?

That jeep sounds like it would be a lot of fun
Old 08-22-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great responses guys.

Covering the "sensor vs virtual" selection option in Hptuners, I pulled up a 2010 Camaro file which uses an E38 ecm and it does give the option to select a sensor or virtual sensor option. A picture is attached.

As was mentioned, the virtual sensor option doesn't seem to have existed in the 2005 PCMs and the option to select between the two in hptuners is non-existent.

My Regal should be ready to fire up in the few days or so and Ill have some solid info on whether or not us DBC guys can have 3 bar, flex fuel capabilities.
Attached Thumbnails Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody-e38-flex-fuel.jpg  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Did you guys confirm or not confirm that a 2005 Express Van (6.0, 4l80E) OS(and/or PCM) will work with Flex Fuel, and 3-bar with HPTuners?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will know in the next week. My project is about ready to fire up and tune and I am about 80% positive it is going to work.

I wonder if you can make the factory gauges in an f-body work with this ECM though? hmm..
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
Did you guys confirm or not confirm that a 2005 Express Van (6.0, 4l80E) OS(and/or PCM) will work with Flex Fuel, and 3-bar with HPTuners?
I think the debate rages on. Not sure if anyone has actually done it or if it is all mental masturbation.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
I think the debate rages on. Not sure if anyone has actually done it or if it is all mental masturbation.
Other than bigmandengo, sounds like we are all just doing the latter.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

I've been told by people who didn't post here that the van pcm can work but it uses a different ac high/low pressure sensors so the ac will not work
Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I was beginning to think the same thing.. has anyone in here actually got a DBC, flex-fuel, 3 bar enabled OS to work? Ill be pumped if they do, but its even better if its an Fbody. Most of us FI guys dont care about A/C since its removed in a lot of builds
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a little update on my end..

Here's a quick rundown of the setup I have.

2002 5.3 lm7
DBC
fuel composition sensor p/n- 13577379
Delphi PS10081 3 bar map sensor (12223861)
2005 GMC Savana ecm and OS
Hptuners 3 bar OS
Flex fuel settings enabled

Flex fuel sensor plumbed into the return line

2005 Van ecm (Savana)

Things to note on the table logged in hptuners- A/C pressure logging my wideband, lambda reading close to 1 with the e85 blend and the fuel trims being in line while running mostly e85.

So first off, the car fired right up on the first attempt. For the first start, the tank was initially filled with 5 gallons of 90/10 87 octane. I worked out a few bugs and then that brings me to today. I decided I wanted to throw some E85 in her and see what happens. I dumped 5 gallons of straight E85 in the tank which probably had only a couple gallons left of the 87. The engine started right up on the ethanol blend and idled great. I was logging my wideband at the time as well and noted that the lambda reading was right on, so it looks like the ecm is making the proper adjustments.

Speaking of the wideband, I had this wired through the A/C pressure circuit. The A/C pressure sensor circuit that according to many on this forum is not suppose to work in the vans. So this is great news for f-body guys with A/C!

Things to note on the table logged in hptuners- A/C pressure, lambda and fuel trims

I still have more experimenting to do yet and I'm sure I forgot to post a few things but here's what I learned today..

Flex fuel works on DBC p59 OS's

12592618 OS is 3 bar capable, DBC and flex fuel capable

A/C pressure can be read through a van calibration
Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
Here is a little update on my end..

Here's a quick rundown of the setup I have.

2002 5.3 lm7
DBC
fuel composition sensor p/n- 13577379
Delphi PS10081 3 bar map sensor (12223861)
2005 GMC Savana ecm and OS
Hptuners 3 bar OS
Flex fuel settings enabled

Flex fuel sensor plumbed into the return line

2005 Van ecm (Savana)

Things to note on the table logged in hptuners- A/C pressure logging my wideband, lambda reading close to 1 with the e85 blend and the fuel trims being in line while running mostly e85.

So first off, the car fired right up on the first attempt. For the first start, the tank was initially filled with 5 gallons of 90/10 87 octane. I worked out a few bugs and then that brings me to today. I decided I wanted to throw some E85 in her and see what happens. I dumped 5 gallons of straight E85 in the tank which probably had only a couple gallons left of the 87. The engine started right up on the ethanol blend and idled great. I was logging my wideband at the time as well and noted that the lambda reading was right on, so it looks like the ecm is making the proper adjustments.

Speaking of the wideband, I had this wired through the A/C pressure circuit. The A/C pressure sensor circuit that according to many on this forum is not suppose to work in the vans. So this is great news for f-body guys with A/C!

Things to note on the table logged in hptuners- A/C pressure, lambda and fuel trims

I still have more experimenting to do yet and I'm sure I forgot to post a few things but here's what I learned today..

Flex fuel works on DBC p59 OS's

12592618 OS is 3 bar capable, DBC and flex fuel capable

A/C pressure can be read through a van calibration
Well Done
Old 08-29-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool news! Might have to look into this. How well does it adjust in open loop fueling? That is my main concern.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very cool news! Might have to look into this. How well does it adjust in open loop fueling? That is my main concern.
The car hasn't even left the driveway yet. haha. I will keep updating this thread with my findings, however I do work slow.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
The car hasn't even left the driveway yet. haha. I will keep updating this thread with my findings, however I do work slow.
fyi the fbody a/c issue isnt that pressure cannot be seen on the scanner its that the fbodys used a single wire pulled to ground the request a/c where as the newer p59 pcms use serial data to request a/c

last I checked I had the option in tunercat to switch it to single wire
I know several people had put in requests for the setting to be added in hp tuners.

Not sure if they ever got around to adding it
Old 08-31-2014, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by scotte

fyi the fbody a/c issue isnt that pressure cannot be seen on the scanner its that the fbodys used a single wire pulled to ground the request a/c where as the newer p59 pcms use serial data to request a/c

last I checked I had the option in tunercat to switch it to single wire
I know several people had put in requests for the setting to be added in hp tuners.

Not sure if they ever got around to adding it
This is true for most p59 applications but the van applications use a single wire 12v request.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hptuners has the ability to switch a/c types as well.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

I thought that the f-body had one switch while other vehicles used 2 and that was the problem. Very interested if you can get the pcm to work correctly because I'm running a ECA and just picking my tune based off the percentage
Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I thought that the f-body had one switch while other vehicles used 2 and that was the problem. Very interested if you can get the pcm to work correctly because I'm running a ECA and just picking my tune based off the percentage
You are correct sir. The f-body just has a pressure transducer and the pcm controls a variable displacement compressor. On the other hand, the 99-02 trucks and the 03-07 vans use a fixed displacement compressor that is switched on and off via a low pressure/cycling switch. They also use a high pressure cut out switch. Then there is 03-06 trucks that use a pressure transducer and a cycling switch, since it also uses a fixed displacement compressor.

I think the 04 GTO also uses a variable displacement compressor. The GTO also uses a p59 pcm, so it may just be a matter of changing the A/C type through hptuners to reflect that of the GTO and then it could function like the f-body?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, so I'm n/a... Based off the info here I can tee off the output of my ECA (since right now it just goes to a display) and pin it into my pcm, upload the Tahoe/suburban OS and change A/c type and I can start tuning for flex?
The following users liked this post:
NewOrleansLT1 (12-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody