Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B1B1 O2 not switching after header -y install

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default B1B1 O2 not switching after header -y install

Just installed my jet hots with a hooker y. After picking up from welding shop (hooker Y had to be modified), my SES light came on. I drove it about 8 miles there and it wasn't on. I brought it to CAM in Durham Nc for a retune, showed sensor 1 bank 1 02 not switching. So I switched out that one (driver side) with one of the not used cat monitor 02's. Same reading again yesterday. I'm hoping it was the passenger side so I switched it out with the 02 that was originally in the driver side. I can't find any burn marks in either harness and I'll check it again today. Any ideas as to anything else that could cause this if I get the same code-reading? I was told it couldn't be a grounding issue as I was wondering if they ground through the header (possibly jet hot coating in threads?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

dunno but my extensions on my pacesetters throw an intermittent P0135. I'm monitoring the o2 mv the entire time, both o2's ramp up from cold and go in to closed loop with identical peak and trough mv values, once every other week it would throw that code. My lazy *** just turned off the code.

Do you have a log of this "non-switching". Log the car from dead cold to idle-closed loop, and pay attention to the sine waves and how each ones comes to temp.

i think my extension (one) is just sketchy. Just too lazy to go take a look at them..

drove me up the wall, ses light, so i disabled the code. BUT I DO Datalog frequently
and pay attention to the actual seen signal. This is where (atap/live/vcmscanner) comes in quite handy.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

We looked at it on a Snap on code reader and it showed real time 02 reading stuck at 447 mv on bank one sensor one, but sensor 2 fluctuates from 400-450 (switching properly). I have an 02 extension on the passenger side only.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redlinez
We looked at it on a Snap on code reader and it showed real time 02 reading stuck at 447 mv on bank one sensor one, but sensor 2 fluctuates from 400-450 (switching properly). I have an 02 extension on the passenger side only.
Check for a break in the harness leading down to the sensor plug. If you pinched the leads with the header installation or if the welder burnt the harness. The reading will stay about the voltage that you listed if there is a break in the harness.
Alan
Old 05-04-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Latest readings are b1s1- 447, b2s1 430-790mv, b1s2 430-780, b2s2- 447.
This makes me think the driver side 02 is plugged in the wrong connector. I should only be seeing readings from b1s1 and b2s1. The thing is, I know he put in a false reading or whatever for the rear 02's with ls1 edit so I'm wondering why there would be a reading at all at b1s2. I guess I'll switch it tonight and see what the ol snapon has to say.
BTW- I pulled wiring from both side looms and found no cuts or anything. The driver side was a clean shot out anyway, which I disconnected when I dropped the cat out.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

LS1edit is NOT turning the O2 off, it ONLY prevents the PCM from tripping errors for the O2s so they still would be functioning.
The PCM puts out a 0.450 mVolt bias voltage to the PCM and then looks at the values above and below it so seeing .450 would be from the PCM.

IF there is no exhaust leaks for that side nor a fuel or wiring issue, if there was welding done on the car and battery was not disconnected the welder could have zapped the hardware logic of the PCM for that O2.

Check for blown fuses such as the O2s or other functions that could make the left side of engine act this way.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

I think he swapped the connector position. Shows voltage change for B1S2 but not B1s!. I'm headed out to swap it.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

i accidently put the front o2 in the back plug after my head install (it had been 5 months!) and it did exactly what you are describing. bet you that is where the problem is
Old 05-05-2004, 05:19 AM
TECH Addict

Yep. Embarrassing. I was up top bolting on the headers and plug packs and plugs, he was underneath hooking up the o2's. I forgot the driver front 02 connector was at the forward end of the block. FOUND it last night. There was a connector beside the one he had plugged in to which was the b1s2 connector that appeared to be the other one. I thought he had taped it up. Upon further inspection I found it to be a two wire plug and I was like damn, that's my skip shift. Anywho, thanks for you guys racking your brains. That reply about the pcm reference voltage told me I had some finding to do. At least I installed my ratcheting tie down strap to my alternator bracket. That was a blast. Not. Problems resolved.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the follow up! glad to hear your all right!