PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Delphi 85mm MAF sensors. Tuning required?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Switching Delphi 85mm MAF sensors. Tuning required?

I'm trying to smooth out the driveability and surging as much as possible in a '00 heads/cam LS1 C5. The dyno tune was done at one shop and I had another tuner strap the car to his dyno and check the tune at his shop. The 2nd tuner agreed the car is tuned spot-on and recommended not changing a thing. So I'm confident the tune is great and running 11.8 e.t. @ 121 trap speed at 2000DA with a very soft launch and running sub-par street tires backs-up the power it made on the dynos.

I'm currently using a de-screened 85mm LS2 MAF out of a '05 C6. What I'm thinking about trying to do to smooth out driveability and the very little surging is swap out the de-screened Delphi 85mm MAF with a screened 85mm Delphi MAF. Due to my lack of tune related know-how, my question is; would the car need any tuning at all switching from one 85mm MAF to another 85mm MAF, whether it be from a C5Z06, C6, GM truck, etc? Or would that not make a difference and not be necessary?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, if any of your issues relate to airflow bias or
reversion, then the swap might change something.
Kinda the point of trying, right? I haven't seen any
differences from screened on my car but the 'vettes
have more of a bend in the tract. Might play first with
just rotating the orientation of the descreened one
and see if anything results (airflow bias - nothing to
do with reversion).
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks jimmyblue. I first did a search and came across a post about a guy who had the same concern as me, wanting to smooth out driveability as much as possible in a heads/cam C5. He would sometimes have a slight surging under low load, low rpm steady cruising. He mentioned that he swapped out his de-screened MAF to a screened MAF and it smoothed out the driveability/surging.

But my question still persists. Would any tuning be necessary swapping a de-screened 85mm Delphi MAF with another 85mm Delphi MAF, even if the two MAF sensors come from different vehicles? Like one from a '05 C6 and the other from a C5 Z06, LS2 GTO or 6.0L truck, etc. I guess another way to ask would be; are all 85mm Delphi MAF sensors the exact same, no matter what vehicle they were installed in from the factory?

Quick Reply: Switching Delphi 85mm MAF sensors. Tuning required?