Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fly by wire help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fly by wire help

I'm not sure if this in the right section but I'm having a small issue. If I put the pedal to the floor, engine immediately goes to idle, no response from gas pedal, and a code is thrown ( I have not checked the code yet and I realize that is important) so my question is: Can a fly by wire pedal go past full throttle? Meaning, I'm guessing that the pedal works by some sort of ohm/voltage reading based on the pedal position. If the pedal goes past the computers known range or past full throttle, could that cause the limp mode issue. It runs like a raped ape up to full throttle and there is no sputtering or hesitation, it's instant so it's not a fuel issue or anything like that. Once I turn the key off take it out, reinsert and start up it's fine again and the fault light eventually turns off. Thoughts or possible fixes? I'm workin on gettin the code read but truck is down for the moment. Thanks

Sam
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't say if this is a stock vehicle or a stock one.

If it is an engine swap, the engine, pedal and computer all need to match, best if all from the same vehicle. You can't mix that **** up. It ain't 1955 anymore.

Had a customer once call me. He had put a Corvette throttle body on his Drive By Wire pickup. It did just what you described here.

This stuff also sometimes just fails on stock DBW vehicles. GM uses it for torque management and traction control. I don't like it myself.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Teching In

As far as I know pedal/tb/engine/computer are from an '06 Avalanche.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Check the wires at the tb plug.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Just in case anyone else has had this problem me and a friend figured it out. He had a spare truck tb laying around so we unplugged mine and just plugged the spare one in. Pedal opened and closed the tb normally but if you floored it, tb immediately shut and no response from pedal, same thing that had been happening. Hooked up the scan tool and found that the pedal was going past full throttle. After reading 99.6% throttle, the pedal would still travel about another full inch sending computer into limp mode. Unbolted the pedal from firewall, drilled a hole, spot welded a nut to the back of it and used a large hex head as an adjustable throttle stop setting it to stop the pedal arm at 99.8% throttle. You can mash the pedal as hard as you want and no issues now. Hope this helps anyone else that may have had the prob.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

So he physically limited the mechanical portion of the pedal so the TPS would not go past 99.6 percent to prevent limp mode. Correct ?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Correct.

Quick Reply: Fly by wire help