PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who should i have it tuned by in houston or tune my self?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who should i have it tuned by in houston or tune my self?

this is a two part question. i just bought a c5 vette with a cam, bbk 80mm tb, full exhaust with long tubes and some kind of air intake. the original owner didnt know much about cars, he just had money to have things built. the car smells like its running way rich, no check engine lights on, so i am guessing it has o2 sims for the rear. the problem is that sometimes it surges at an idle almost to the point of dying, and combine that with the fact it the fumes will almost knock you out while sitting in the car in traffic.

so should i have it tuned by a reputable shop in houston or do it my self? i do plan on making changes in the future so i would constantly have to have it retuned.

i was an auto tech for about ten years, worked at ford, toyota, porsche, and lexus so i am not new to working on cars at all. but i have never used hp tuners before so i dont know what the learning curve is going to be on it. but i do already have a aem wideband from my tuning my blow through carbed mustang.

if me tuning my self, what do you feel is the most user friendly tuner avaliable?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

i can help you tune it, i live in houston. Let me know! just buy me a beer haha
Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

I'm with subeone(Cesar) I'll gladly help you out too! I'm in Houston as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subeone
well that is pretty damn awesome. are you two guys familiar with hp tuners? is that the one i should buy? ill order it tonight if that is the case and i will gladly lean on you guys to learn the ropes, of course beer will be on me.

i live in danbury which is down by angleton, where are you two located? hopefully south houston or so, but with my luck you will be in spring or katy lol.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cguth
well that is pretty damn awesome. are you two guys familiar with hp tuners? is that the one i should buy? ill order it tonight if that is the case and i will gladly lean on you guys to learn the ropes, of course beer will be on me.

i live in danbury which is down by angleton, where are you two located? hopefully south houston or so, but with my luck you will be in spring or katy lol.

Non-sponsor solicitation removed by admin. - orangeapeel

Last edited by orangeapeel; 11-30-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: non sponsor info
Old 11-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

roger that, will do. ill hit you with a pm when im ready. im low man on the totem pole here at work, so it wont be till after the first of the year due to me having to cover vacation. and i work shift work but i will gladly take you up on that offer. i use to work at the ford dealer in laporte so im good with that area. this is my lucky day, i never find someone to help me out like this, normally im the one helping.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Non-sponsor solicitation removed by admin. - orangeapeel
i was going to buy the tuner tonight, but i didnt know if i should get the pro or standard. if you have some input let me know. i sent you a pm with my number
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the money. PRO I love being able to data log w/o the laptop.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Can you guys help out with a turbo 99 camaro SS lol. I'm from Houston but live in Abilene due to military. Just bought hp tuners pro
Old 11-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by codyvette
If you have the money. PRO I love being able to data log w/o the laptop.
10-4 then ill order the pro
Old 11-28-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarochvy21
Can you guys help out with a turbo 99 camaro SS lol. I'm from Houston but live in Abilene due to military. Just bought hp tuners pro
sure we can help, although u are a bit far haha
Old 11-28-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

I can send ya the tune
Old 11-28-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

as long as you send logs with AFR error inthere then it can be done
Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool you are getting that kind of help (big reason why I like this forum).

But OP, you will soon learn how much of a learning curve there is to tuning. I would NOT suggest trying to tune your own car if you haven't used tuning software.

Take classes, read books, watch videos, etc. With tuning, you will always be learning, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Pretty cool you are getting that kind of help (big reason why I like this forum).

But OP, you will soon learn how much of a learning curve there is to tuning. I would NOT suggest trying to tune your own car if you haven't used tuning software.

Take classes, read books, watch videos, etc. With tuning, you will always be learning, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I hear you on that. Im very knowledgeable on efi, was an auto tech for years. I understand sensors and their functions so im a few steps ahead of a totally green person. But I totally agree that I will always be able to learn something new and im very open to all the help I can get
Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1

I disagree. There is an inherent risk, but it is all part of the hobby. Starting with a car that is already on the street it is going to be much lower risk as you are making small changes to improve drive-ability. No professional shop is going to be able to spend enough time to dial in that perfect tune. Not that you can ever hit "perfect" under all conditions. The learning is most of the fun for some of us.

Certainly agree with reading books, watching videos or taking classes depending on your budget.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOT tuning is easier than part throttle. Most tuners can do WOT in a few hours. I don't blame them for not going into it deeper for part throttle since it's time consuming and not cost effective. I had mine tuned on a mustang dyno and have been fine tuning part throttle with hptuners. Just always keep the stock and last known good tune saved and I even email it to myself incase the laptop goes out.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
WOT tuning is easier than part throttle. Most tuners can do WOT in a few hours. I don't blame them for not going into it deeper for part throttle since it's time consuming and not cost effective. I had mine tuned on a mustang dyno and have been fine tuning part throttle with hptuners. Just always keep the stock and last known good tune saved and I even email it to myself incase the laptop goes out.
Sounds like good advice
Old 12-01-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
couple of hours to tune WOT? It should take an hour at the most for both VE and MAF tables. Part throttle takes another hour.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

all right, i ordered the pro from jw motoring i think. i found them on this site so i hope all is well with the transaction. it will be here this week but do to my work schedule it may be the end of December before i can try to meet up with you guys. ill keep ya posted

Quick Reply: who should i have it tuned by in houston or tune my self?