PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cranks, starts, then dies after a few seconds??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car cranks, starts, then dies after a few seconds??

So I was driving on the highway when all the sudden my car dies. I get stopped and try to start the car and it just cranks. I thought maybe the fuel pump may be bad but not sure... so I check some fuses.

I pulled all the large 40-50 amp fuses in the fuse block closest to the driver headlight under the hood. I hear some clicking and the door chime sound (didnt hear it before I pulled the fuses when I put the key in?) and go start the car and it fires right up no trouble.

It runs for a few seconds then dies, even if I put my foot to the floor. Is there something telling it to stop running? I've searched about this and got a lot of dead end posts and swap cars.

Is there anything that could prevent my car from continuing to run after startup? I'm trying to rule out everything before I get to the fuel pump.

Car is a 2000 Formula with a t56 swap

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks for reading
Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Ok so when I pull the fuel pump relay it looks like the 87 terminal is burnt on the plastic pretty good and blade is discolored. When I put in a new relay the car just cranks, but when I put in the old burnt one the car will fire up and run for about 10 seconds at times then slowly dies.

I also have a p0320 fuel pump relay circuit code also if that matters, but it seems that code would be a given at this point with the condition of the relay.

I just don't understand how it runs with the bad relay but does nothing with the new? (or any of the other same relays switched out for it)
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for shorted wires else where.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I checked around everywhere and couldn't find anything shorted. I ran a jumper from the 87 terminal to a direct 12v source and the fuel pump runs. The car idles great now so I guess that rules out pump being bad at least.

Would this be ok for a temporary solution provided that I unplug the jumper when I turn the car off?
Old 12-25-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_M
I checked around everywhere and couldn't find anything shorted. I ran a jumper from the 87 terminal to a direct 12v source and the fuel pump runs. The car idles great now so I guess that rules out pump being bad at least.

Would this be ok for a temporary solution provided that I unplug the jumper when I turn the car off?
Are you sure you got the correct replacement relay with the correct amperage rating? I wouldn't use one less the 40-50 amp for a fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Car cranks, starts, then dies after a few seconds??