PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Car Engine Swappers - How did you pass emissions? Dash VIN vs PCM vin

Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default OBDII Car Engine Swappers - How did you pass emissions? Dash VIN vs PCM vin

I kinda asked something similar to this earlier but I wanted to narrow it down a bit just incase anyone else has had experience with this. I did a V6 - V8 swap on my Firebird. Emissions testers are scanning the VIN on my windshield sticker to determine the car's information, when they hook up they are unable to see my PCM while Autozone / O'reily's / Advanced is able to read it and the codes.

I am ASSUMING this means there is a mismatch between the VIN O.S. they're looking for on my dash sticker, and the O.S. they're actually recieving with the V8 PCM vs the V6 PCM O.S.

If I change the VIN on the V8 PCM to the VIN on my car, will that solve this issue? I was thinking maybe not because the O.S. will still be a V8 O.S.?

How did you pass emissions?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 411 Likes on 292 Posts

Where are you located?

It may not be reading the correct vin number and throwing a flag in the computer.

To be legal, most states would require that you get the vehicle inspected for an engine swap. They make sure that it was done correctly, that you used the correct emission parts, and that they are working properly.

Once it passes your car would be reclassified in the system and I believe you get a sticker or tag for your car stating that the car has been changed and should be inspected accordingly for the new requirements.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do a lot with V6 S10s using the original, or similar PCMs. The '96 through '00 models with Vortec V8s I just put the truck's vin it them (often use a V8 truck PCM, since some service number boxes are 6 Cyl only, just 6 injector drivers) those pass just fine, as do the later S10s with LS engines. I have guys in other areas with 0411 boxes in other vehicles going right through with their older vehicle vin in it.
Only problem is guys using hpt complain the box is locked. Since the lock cable credits to an internal id in the PCM, I'm not real sure why they worry about the vin.

Any generic OBD2 tool should have no problem communicating with your Camaro PCM. Wonder why the smog station tool won't? Many places never open the hood.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just change the VIN in the computer. I had to put a Mazda VIN in my GTO computer to get it to pass. OBD2 FTW
Old 12-28-2013, 11:52 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MX6.0
Just change the VIN in the computer. I had to put a Mazda VIN in my GTO computer to get it to pass. OBD2 FTW
That usually gets it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBDII Car Engine Swappers - How did you pass emissions? Dash VIN vs PCM vin