PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock computer or BigStuff3

Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question stock computer or BigStuff3

Is there any advantage in going to an aftermarket computer versus keeping the stock computer on a street car?? My car is boosted (88mm turbo).
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there are lots of good reasons....

Wideband O2 fuel correction all the time...including WOT...constant fuel correction........
1/2/3/4/5 bar systems
more cells in the fuel map(means it can be more accurate...better resolution)
boost control
traction control
nitrous control
individual cylinder fuel and spark control
better idle control,

just to name a few........

and not necessarily BS3 (its way over priced and out dated)
also, Holley EFI, FAST XFI, and quite a few other options as well..
Old 01-12-2014, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
there are lots of good reasons.... Wideband O2 fuel correction all the time...including WOT...constant fuel correction........ 1/2/3/4/5 bar systems more cells in the fuel map(means it can be more accurate...better resolution) boost control traction control nitrous control individual cylinder fuel and spark control better idle control, just to name a few........ and not necessarily BS3 (its way over priced and out dated) also, Holley EFI, FAST XFI, and quite a few other options as well..
Can do NOS, Boost, 2Bar adequate idle control on a stock computer. Not a stock OS though

But there are some benefits to an aftermarket controller. But hard to justify for the money
Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by macca_779
Can do NOS, Boost, 2Bar adequate idle control on a stock computer. Not a stock OS though

But there are some benefits to an aftermarket controller. But hard to justify for the money

Price justification is subjective.....totally depends on the big picture...

is the car stock, or modified?
is it the original engine in the car? or is it a different engine than the car came with?
do you have deep pockets, or are you stretching your paychecks every week?
do you want it more than you need it? and do you want it more than the cost of it?

stock PCM's can do a lot, I'm not trying to tell you you cant use them...
but aftermarket ECU's do so much more and do it better than a stock ECU on most things.
I know both EFI Live and HP Tuners offer Custom OS's to do the things mentioned in the quotes... but it doesnt mean they are very good at it...it just means they can do the function...

I know that the Aftermarket ECU's provide much better versions and typically have a lot more options as well as system safety's...

theres just so much more flexibility with an aftermarket ECU...

theres a reason the COPO Camaro's come with a Holley ECU in the Race versions(the COPO's that are street legal and Emissions Legal in all 50 states come with the Stock GM ECU)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've tuned all of them, my first choice is FAST XFI, second is Holley, third would be BS3. Guys where I race use all three. I help racers with all three.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the information. I was asking to see if the money spent on an aftermarket ecu would/could be justified or would the gains be so minimal that it would be best to use the stock one. Currently my car is tuned with HP Tuners (3bar) and I don't have any problems with the cars performance or drivability. This is a stret car that I take to the track not a race car.

Thanks again
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by '02 StripedSS
Thanks for the information. I was asking to see if the money spent on an aftermarket ecu would/could be justified or would the gains be so minimal that it would be best to use the stock one. Currently my car is tuned with HP Tuners (3bar) and I don't have any problems with the cars performance or drivability. This is a stret car that I take to the track not a race car.

Thanks again
Not really worth it, IMO. You engine isn't all that radical, and you're not really demanding enough to make it worth the cost. You'll spend thousands of dollars to get right back to where you are now.

Once you start making big changes - power adders, big cams, etc - then you'll need the precision and adjustability that an aftermarket system can get you.

Some systems also provide GPS data logging. Very handy on the race track.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 PM
8 Second Club

it has nothing to do with the amount of power you will make on your combo....

every single system out there (if tuned correctly) will result in the same end result of power...

where the aftermarket systems make a difference is in the ease of tuning...
many aftermarket systems make it easier to tune because of advanced features...
bigger VE tables allowing a finer resolution, wideband O2's that the ECU can use to correct fueling during any condition, Extra features like multiple rev limiters, traction control, boost control , nitrous control.

due to the flexibility of these aftermarket systems compared to stock systems...you can achieve a more consistent result as well.

some stock ECU's only go to 8000 rpm... many of the aftermarket systems can go well past that...and well past where most of us will spin our engine up to
they also process things faster and do updates faster, which equates to more precise fuel and spark control

The Aftermarket ECU wont make your car faster if your current tune is spot on...
but it does certainly open up the possibilities to power adders and more accurate control.

you say your car is a 3 bar....
well why not use some boost control on the street...might make it more fun if you dont have to worry about blowing the tires off everytime you mash your foot at a low MPH...
of course, you can do boost control from a separate controller as well....but...its more wires to more places..an aftermarket ECU keeps everything all in one spot and keeps stuff a little more tidy in the end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stock computer or BigStuff3