Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High RPM Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High RPM Question

So I have a 5.3 with mild heads/cam in my ’67 Camaro. I am running a manual trans and a truck pcm (which is factory programmed for auto trans), the VSS is hooked up and working. The car is not tuned yet but has had all the securities removed so it runs & drives great except that when I put the clutch in the engine stays at whatever RPM it was at as long as I am coasting. Upon coming to a complete stop the engine will slowly reduce RPMs until it finally settles at idle after several seconds. My tuner says it is a tuning issue and he’ll have it fixed in a jiffy when we throw it on the dyno. My concern is that there is something else wrong and I’ll waste time and money when we throw it on the dyno for a tune. I am concerned because this is the second manual trans swap I have done to a 5.3 with a truck PCM and did not have this issue with the first one. Is this something that will be fixed with tuning?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

It is most likely a tuning issue. I have a 5.3 in a 1992 chevy pickup 5 speed manual with a 1999 truck pcm auto trans and it works fine when i push in the clutch.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The idle control routine is different between manual and automatic calibrations.
I can't imagine why anybody would not just start with a manual Trans calibration ("tune").
Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
The idle control routine is different between manual and automatic calibrations.
I can't imagine why anybody would not just start with a manual Trans calibration ("tune").
My tuner just came over to my house to remove VATs & securities. He didn't load any custom tune or change tables. I think he left those in there to make sure I take it to him and have it dyno tuned. lol I assumed it was a tuning issue, just wanted to make sure before I waste his time and my money on the dyno. Thanks for the replies confirming my suspicions.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I was going to change to a manual trans calibration but the truck runs great the way it is.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:21 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I was going to change to a manual trans calibration but the truck runs great the way it is.
Should effect nothing but your idle. Might have him put the automatic spark tables in it when you do.

Quick Reply: High RPM Question