PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap - general health check

Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swap - general health check

Short story, bought an LS1 from a 2002 Camaro with 70k miles from ebay and swapped it into my E36 BMW. Looking for a quick review of my HPTuners log to see if there are any glaring issues.

No internal mods
Custom Vorshlag headers
Custom exhaust dual 2.5" cats to Magnaflow x-pipe to dual in/out Spintech muffler to E36 cat back
Custom intake 3.5" K&N filter, straight shot before and after the MAF
Corvette FPR, stock BMW fuel pump

Car has a pronounced vibration or resonance between 3-4k rpm when accelerating. Vibe/resonance is present at idle but seems less pronounced. Still trying to determine if this is exhaust or rotational. I thought at first that it was an exhaust leak at the collectors but the LTFTs do not seem too high to me, except for...

Picked up a Cyl 3 misfire code yesterday morning and parked the car for the day. Idle LTFT on bank 1 was pegged at 25%. Started troubleshooting last night by moving ignition components around and was not able to reproduce the misfire or the unbalanced LTFT. Misfire history on cylinder 3 shows ~3500 misfires but did not increment on last nights testing (nor did the other cylinder misfires).

Tune is stock, no performance changes to the PCM only swap related things VATS, etc.

Log is here:
http://www.e36ls1.com/logs/t2nomiss.hpl

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you tried switching the coil pack and injector to another cylinder one by one to see if it follows the other cylinder? Have you pulled the valve cover to just the springs for #3? Could be a bad coil, bad/clogged injector or something even simpler as a plug not seated on the plug all the way or cracked plug wire grounding to metal.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

I swapped the #3 plug, wire, and coil all to different cylinders on the same side. Then I drove the car for a while to see if the misfire reappeared on another cylinder. Unfortunately it did not reappear so no conclusive data at this point. The miss is gone now so I have not tried any further troubleshooting yet. Either it was something simple that was rectified during the unplug/plug/swap process or something that is intermittent.

Plan is to check the injector and valve train if it does indeed reappear on #3.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's your LTFT look like now? Probably got lucky and a plug wire wasn't on all the way.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

LTFTs seem ok now and no big delta from one bank to the other.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 swap - general health check