Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get a misfire code to set

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get a misfire code to set

So, I'm kinda tinkering around and just seeing where things are at. (Keep in mind, the car runs fine, I'm just wanting to know about why both the HPTuners Scanner AND the SnapOn Modis is not logging any misfire counters). I've noticed that the PCM is NOT seeing a dead misfire. No matter which cylinder I disable, whether it's fuel or spark, no matter how many ignition cycles. Even with a stock tune or the mail order tune, the results are the same.

In the DTC list in HPTuners, P0300 is enabled to set. But going down the list is just skips past all the specific cylinder misfire DTC's....P0300 then P0315 then P0327 and so on. However it does show DTC's for ignition coil controls for each cylinder, as well as injector controls for each cylinder. I can set codes for both injector and coil controls, but CANT set a specific misfire code and not even a lousy general misfire code P0300.

Is this just how HPTuners re-writes all the tunes? Whether a stock tune or not? If yes, that's EFFING retarded!

Last edited by nvscott5; 01-29-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Also, it's a stock 5.3L from 2001 Tahoe (gas), with full-length headers and conical air filter. 4L60E. And this is with a MAF. The torque converter is from an S10 so the stall is slightly higher than a Silverado
Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Nobody knows anything about the misfire settings???
Old 01-29-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HP Tuners doesn't change anything on it's own. If you didn't change it then that is how the DTCs are stock unless someone else changed it before you. You would get more help posting the .hpt file too.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually alot of the time on older LS engines, or even v6s. 4 cyls ect, a general p0300 sets and not an actual cylinder code.
misfire history will show on a tech2 and that will tell you.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
HP Tuners doesn't change anything on it's own. If you didn't change it then that is how the DTCs are stock unless someone else changed it before you. You would get more help posting the .hpt file too.
I know that, I'm trying to figure which tables and values to change in order to sync better with the long tube headers, but I thought the misfire DTC's correspond to the crankshaft position? 02 Sensor lag/delay should only effect oscillation of STFT's. But anyway, here is the stock tune (aside from deleting things like EGR, EVAP, VATS, fan settings, etc.) and the mail order tune (from Ed Hutchings). And here is a screen shot of what I was talking about with the DTC list skipping over specific cylinder misfire DTC's.

Stock 2001 Tahoe 5.3L tune.hpt

Nova (Ed Hutchings Tune) 2001 Tahoe 5.3L.hpt

Last edited by nvscott5; 01-29-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Teching In

And I can't figure out how to upload my bin file??
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nvscott5
Is this just how HPTuners re-writes all the tunes? Whether a stock tune or not? If yes, that's EFFING retarded!
Well apparently you don't know that. And right now no one even knows what the vehicle is. WTH does sync better with the long tube headers mean? You Go Advanced to post the tune.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Well apparently you don't know that. And right now no one even knows what the vehicle is. WTH does sync better with the long tube headers mean? You Go Advanced to post the tune.
I did post what the vehicle is...post #2. And what you quoted me on (about whether hp tuners re-writes the configuration in discrete minor ways) I was talking about all the tables and values...not the DTC list. And about the syncing with the headers, I'm surprised you don't know what I'm talking about. When you install long tube headers, there is a delay between rich/lean switching on a stock tune. I apparently mixed another thought in with that post, which wasn't necessary.

And I still can't figure out how to upload the file. I keep seeing the drop down list where it shows "Attachments" but the first (and only) space is blank. I did notice that Java was uninstalled for some reason, don't know why. And flash and shockwave are up to date as well. I am using internet explorer don't know if it's the newest version or not (it's also not showing in my programs list for some reason). Does it only work in Firefox or Chrome?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Got it. The problem was internet explorer for some reason. It uploaded fine with Firefox. Both the stock and mail order tunes are in the post #6 with the screenshot of the DTC list.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:08 AM
Teching In

I got the misfire code setting issue solved. It was kind've a discrete simple mistake. First off, if the PCM hasn't yet had a CASE Learn/Crank Relearn then the PCM won't enable Misfire Detection (knock detection will always be there for drivability reasons). It took me a while to realize that the last time I had performed a Crank Relearn was back around August last year. Even after switching tunes a dozen times and leaving the battery disconnected multiple times, it never occurred to me that I had to perform a Crank Relearn in order for Misfire Detection to be enabled. I eventually was able to set a P0300, but after multiple attempts still no cylinder specific DTC's.

Quick Reply: Can't get a misfire code to set