Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible dead PCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible dead PCM

I've had one of those...well, years trying to get my Firebird back in decent running shape lately. Just know that my current issue comes after a string of issues that I've been dealing with lately.

After driving around today looking at my incorrect speedometer, I tried to use the Hypertech tuner that came with my car to reprogram the PCM to account for the 3.73s that were installed when I got it. Unfortunately, the voltage in the battery got too low while the handheld was working and the programming was interrupted. I charged my battery back up and I got the message "Code 6"..."Call Hypertech..." The car will not start.

Based on what I've read, I can pretty much expect to be powerless here. However, I have read that it is possible to reflash the PCM and restore its factory settings. I sent Frost a message on his website asking if this was possible (especially since I planned on getting him to delete the cats anyway) and am eagerly awaiting his response.

Has anyone else experienced this or had luck with a reflash to correct the issue? I've also been searching for a replacement '98 PCM which has proved to be a headache as well. Anyone have any cost-effective suggestions here?

I would relate all the issues I've had lately, but I think at this point it would just be depressing. When it rains it pours, people.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Frost isn't a sponsor any longer on here so I don't know if he will get your message. I have seen handhelds kill a couple PCM's over the years but it's not very common. If you mail me your PCM I'll test it for free. If it's recoverable I can flash it to back to stock for cheap or do a mail order tune on it for $150 plus return shipping. Even if you don't want a tune I'll look at it for free.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

I had no idea he no longer sponsored. I just might have to take you up on the offer. This evening, I'm going to give it another shot after having unhooked my negative cable for a while. I'll pull out all of the other fuses to see if maybe it's drawing too much away. I've read a lack of voltage may cause the error in itself. If I don't have any luck I'll definitely be PMing you.

Thanks so much for the offer of help!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Frost isn't a sponsor any longer on here so I don't know if he will get your message. I have seen handhelds kill a couple PCM's over the years but it's not very common. If you mail me your PCM I'll test it for free. If it's recoverable I can flash it to back to stock for cheap or do a mail order tune on it for $150 plus return shipping. Even if you don't want a tune I'll look at it for free.
Mind if I take you up on this offer? I'm not sure what would have caused my PCM to go bad, but from the testing I've done, I can't see any other explanation. Getting solid B+ at all the constant and ign sources and good grounds, but I can't get a voltage out for the CKP.

EDIT: Despite my sig, it is a 99+ PCM (converted harness)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by brutalis
Mind if I take you up on this offer? I'm not sure what would have caused my PCM to go bad, but from the testing I've done, I can't see any other explanation. Getting solid B+ at all the constant and ign sources and good grounds, but I can't get a voltage out for the CKP.

EDIT: Despite my sig, it is a 99+ PCM (converted harness)
Not a problem, send it in and I'll see if it can be recovered. My shipping info is on my webpage under mail order tuning.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Not a problem, send it in and I'll see if it can be recovered. My shipping info is on my webpage under mail order tuning.
Thanks. The PCM has a Frost tune on it, but after emailing him, he doesn't seem to be interested in testing it for me. I'll try to get it shipped out asap.

Do you want me to fill out a form for it or just include a note?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by brutalis
Thanks. The PCM has a Frost tune on it, but after emailing him, he doesn't seem to be interested in testing it for me. I'll try to get it shipped out asap. Do you want me to fill out a form for it or just include a note?
Please include the form, it's easier to keep track of pcms when they come in with it.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fluffy6079
I had no idea he no longer sponsored. I just might have to take you up on the offer. This evening, I'm going to give it another shot after having unhooked my negative cable for a while. I'll pull out all of the other fuses to see if maybe it's drawing too much away. I've read a lack of voltage may cause the error in itself. If I don't have any luck I'll definitely be PMing you.

Thanks so much for the offer of help!
Good news, I was able to recover the pcm. I sent you a PM with all your options.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Good news, I was able to recover the pcm. I sent you a PM with all your options.
Good to see someone is still looking out for the little guy, Props to your offer and helping him out..
Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very Cool
Old 02-19-2014, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

I have 2 ECUs with credits purchased with my HP tuners that might be bad ECU's. If I send you the 2 ECu's would you be able to check it out?

Thanks,
Brione
Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Br1_ss
I have 2 ECUs with credits purchased with my HP tuners that might be bad ECU's. If I send you the 2 ECu's would you be able to check it out?

Thanks,
Brione
Yes,
No problem, just include the pdf off my website so i have all your information.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Good guy right there. I had my PCM tuned by Frost last April. Never had any issues until now. Busted the 10 bolt back before Thanksgiving, so she say in the garage while I fixed her and since it's winter. Well I went out and tried to start it one day and it was a pain, had backfires and no tach. Well I read the code and it was P0342 (cam sensor input low). I changed the sensor and still did the same thing. I changed the crank sensor and it is still hard to start and no tach but from the few times I tried to start it, it stopped backfiring. Any ideas? Junk PCM, cold weather, weak battery? I have never taken anything apart on the motor, just bolts on and that tune by Frost. Help!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem could be sensor or wiring or connectors or PCM...

you have to troubleshoot using the flowchart: P0342
Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Sorry for being a bit off topic but has anyone got hold of frost lately ?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smitty2418
Good guy right there. I had my PCM tuned by Frost last April. Never had any issues until now. Busted the 10 bolt back before Thanksgiving, so she say in the garage while I fixed her and since it's winter. Well I went out and tried to start it one day and it was a pain, had backfires and no tach. Well I read the code and it was P0342 (cam sensor input low). I changed the sensor and still did the same thing. I changed the crank sensor and it is still hard to start and no tach but from the few times I tried to start it, it stopped backfiring. Any ideas? Junk PCM, cold weather, weak battery? I have never taken anything apart on the motor, just bolts on and that tune by Frost. Help!
If you dont find anything I'll check your PCM out for free just like I did for the other guys. Just pay return shipping.

Quick Reply: Possible dead PCM