PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Is it ok to drive the car???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Is it ok to drive the car???

Ok Yesterday Me and a couple of guys from our local f body club installed my LT's and y pipe. I also put new plugs and wires and removed the AIR pump. Running fine but today coming home from work it threw the SES Light.

I was expecting this because I removed the AIR pump but I went to Autozone and had them scan it anyways just to be sure, sure enough the AIR code was there but there was also another.

Cant remember the code # but I think it's PO 174 system running lean bank number 2 ????

What's that??? I know Lean is bad.... does this mean I shouldn't drive the car??? I'm taking it up Friday to Carolina Auto Masters to get tuned and don't want to blow it up.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Check for a vacuum leak. That's usually what causes that code. Couple be anywhere from the air lid to the head (intake, etc). Maybe you disconnected a hose you shouldnt have or something?

Maybe jrp or somebody else can chime in here, but I think you should be able to drive without hurting anything if its a vacuum leak (i cant imagine it being anything else). All this does is convince your computer that youre running really lean so it will add a ton of fuel. Probably wont get the best gas mileage and the car wont be too strong, but it shouldnt hurt anything. One of my good friend's car had that same problem. It wasnt really noticeable except on the scanner the ltrims were maxed out all the time.

Last edited by SidewayzOZ; 05-11-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:54 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm the only think I can think of would be from removing the Air pump.... Don't remember if we plugged the vacuum line behind the intake manifold.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

ttt
Old 05-12-2004, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

If you have atap or a scanner you will be able to look at your LTRIMS if one bank is way more positive than the other then yes I will also say check for a vacuum leak
Old 05-12-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Nope, none of that cool stuff. It seems to run fine, not down on power or anything. Is it possible that it just ran lean for a sec or two during a WOT and set the code?? I have been just babying it and granny shifting it since the code. I'm going friday to get a professional dyno tune and I know that will fix it but it's a 4 hour drive up there and don't want to kill the car