PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts and dies after 20-30 seconds - 3 bar OS and new keys cut.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car starts and dies after 20-30 seconds - 3 bar OS and new keys cut.

So maybe you guys can help me out, I've been pulling out my hair trying to figure this one out.

Just flashed the 3 bar SD OS on my '05 CTS-V in preparation for boost. Got it running ok and drove it around for a couple days with absolutely no issue.
Went out to get some new keys cut for the car as I only had one set. The locksmith cut the keys, programmed them, and all the keys start the car and the car runs.
I go out Friday night and take the car, have no problems driving 20 minutes through traffic and parking it.
I get back to the car about an hour later and start it, and it idles for about 5 minutes trying to get out of the parking garage and then dies suddenly. It wouldn't fire at all, it would just turn over. I took off the negative battery cable and waited a minute then reattached it. Car would turn over and fire for a split second, then die instantly. No amount of throttle would keep it going.

I started it enough times that I killed the battery. After pushing it into a space and waiting for my brother for half an hour, we jumped the car and it fired right up and ran good, other than a little sputtering when accelerating at one instance.

I get the car home and the next day try to drive it. It starts and idles perfectly for about 25 seconds, then dies. It's not a slow death, it's like I turned off the key. I don't see any CELs, but I am getting a "Service Stability System" and "Reduced Engine Power" on the NAV screen occasionally. The HPTuners module can't read any DTCs for some reason either. Every time I start the car now, it does the exact same thing with starting and dying. I've logged it several times and each time there is no obvious reason as to why it's doing it. IAT is stable, ECT is stable, MAP reading is stable, everything is solid and then just drops off simultaneously.

Possible problems that I guess could be culprits:
The battery seems weaker than usual
Maybe it's the fuel pump? But why would it happen after idling for 20-30 seconds?

HELP!
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
more bullshit 2.hpl (7.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: hpt
CTSV-SD-Leaner.map.hpt (542.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it a break in tune for a turbo?

What's your AFR while idling or when you were driving around!?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

And, the fuel psi is?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
And, the fuel psi is?
I'm picking up a fuel pressure gauge today to check to see if it's cutting fuel pressure randomly. I suspect an issue with the relay but I wanted to see if anyone had any additional input.

The car idles at about 13-14:1 right now and is very driveable off idle. The idle is very consistent right up until the point it completely dies.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like it ended up being a MAP Sensor performance code doing to shutting down. I chose to ignore it in the diagnostics and the car stays running.

I wasn't seeing the code until about 20 seconds after start, and hptuners wouldn't read it for some reason until I tried it again today. All is well now!

Quick Reply: Car starts and dies after 20-30 seconds - 3 bar OS and new keys cut.